Chapter Thirteen

Eventually, Astrea and Garrett figured out what they had to do in this story. With a lot of time, they managed to put the pieces back together, to make up for all the time they had lost living without Carlisle, Esme and Edward.

These three had met and taken in four other lonely vampires. Two of these vampires were the couple that accompanied them ; Rosalie and Emmett. Jasper and Alice were the other two who were now part of the Cullen family. They had all been living in Forks, Washington for three years now. As for the child... It was actually Edward's and his partner, a certain Bella Swan, whom they had had before she was turned. The problem was that their daughter was a hybrid (half-vampire, half-human) and she was growing much faster than average. Normally only two months old, she already had the body of a six year old. She could also communicate by transmitting thoughts and feed on both blood and human food. Her accelerated growth was of great concern to Carlisle, who had never seen anything like it.

And it might have ended there, had the Volturi not been made aware of her birth. Irina, another vampire from a clan, had seen the child and had jumped to conclusions ; believing she had an immortal child before her eyes, she had warned the Volturi, who forbade this practice.

Indeed, an immortal child was a child transformed into a vampire, an illegal creation according to Volturi law, who believed that they were a danger to their race, and could reveal their existence to humans.

So the Cullens found no other solution than to gather all the vampires they knew, so that they could testify in their favour that the child was not a vampire.

After all these revelations, Garrett and Astrea had remained very quiet. This story brought the young woman back to her own birth. She too had a human mother and a vampire father. Why wasn't she like the little girl? Did this explain the fact that she never had a newborn passage ? Her companion unfortunately had no answer to her questions, leaving them both in a state of great perplexity.

Didn't Dad ever tell you about any quirks he might have noticed in me ?

No, that's what puzzles me. And I never saw anything wrong with you myself...

The vampire squeezed his beloved's hand a little tighter to reassure her.

Your father can tell us more, we'll be there soon.

She nodded imperceptibly, but couldn't help biting her lower lip, as she did whenever something was bothering her.

An hour later, they could see the roof of the Cullen house looming in the distance. Eager to see her father again, Astrea quickened her pace to the point that even Garrett could no longer keep up with her, falling at least a hundred meters behind with each step.

Wait for me, dear !

We'll meet you there !

Garrett abandoned his useless chase at the rate his companion was going and waited for Rosalie and Emmett to join him.

- What's gotten into him ? Emmett asked when they reached him.

The vampire shrugged, looking nonchalant.

- She's never been able to stay put for too long. Running will do her good.

- She runs pretty fast for a vampire. Rosalie pointed out suspiciously.

Obviously, the blonde had not yet digested the fear Astrea had given her when they had met.

- Well, as you may have already noticed, my little vampire has some special powers.

- Turning into a newborn whenever she wants, I don't call that special powers. It's just weird. She replied.

She didn't wait for an answer and wrinkled her nose as they resumed their walk. Emmett shrugged, a smirk on his face, then followed her lead, followed by Garrett.