Chapter Twenty-Nine

Both sisters gasped as the door creaked open. The dim light of the hallway blinded them for a moment, allowing the soldiers to tie their wrists securely and lead them outside. They had little trouble forcing them forward ; both women were exhausted. Astrea was barely able to stand between the poison they had been injected with and the wounds that had only just closed. And she was hungry ; extremely hungry. Alice was in no better shape ; although she didn't have the injuries of her accomplice, the injection of the product had weakened her enormously. What could they have put in their blood ? This question turned in loop in her head, making her insane. She had to rack her brains, but nothing could satisfy her ; no possible answer could satisfy her. Would Carlisle himself be able to solve this mystery ? Alice doubted it. The longer they stayed here, the more she felt that there were countless riddles surrounding this case. For a few minutes, she doubted. Would Jasper and the others manage to find them ?

♦♦♦

- We need a plan of attack.

Jacob's voice echoed through the small clearing, vibrant with anger. The others glared at him, which he ignored. He was getting impatient, and they had been thinking about how to get the two vampires for a good half hour now.

- We won't have time for anything if you're screaming all over the park. Answered Rosalie.

He glared at her. Carlisle spoke up, seeing that they would never get it over with if someone didn't interrupt them.

- So far, we haven't had any trouble finding each other here. Maybe we have a chance that our enemies don't know we're here yet. he remarked. Then we have to use that advantage.

- Do you have a plan ? Garrett asked.

Since they had entered the park, the ex-nomad was on edge. There were too many people around him for his taste, and it was a good thing he hadn't eaten humans in a long time. The small clearing was quieter, and the only daring ones who dared to come around were immediately lynched by Garrett's angry eyes at their little group being interrupted.

- Whoever it was, they must have sequestered them somewhere, the doctor continued.

- A hidden building ? Seth suggested.

- We're well on our way. Jacob grumbled. How do you expect us to find something we can't see ?

Emmett squeezed Rosalie's arm, who was about to retaliate again, on edge because of the bus and Jacob's negative remarks.

- There aren't many buildings around here. Emmett pointed out. Why don't we start by looking in the ones we see ? Maybe we'll find some clues that will help us find the girls.

- He's right, Jasper continued, there may be basements in these buildings.

The others nodded. Everyone began to organize themselves as Jacob spoke again. This time there was no sarcasm in his voice.

- Don't you think it's a little too simple ?

Silence followed his question.

- Maybe it's a trap. Who says it was Alice who wrote on that paper ?

- You're telling us this now ? Rosalie grumbled.

Esme shook her head negatively.

- I recognized Alice's writing, I'm sure of it. She affirmed.

- We are not going to separate. You're right, we're probably walking into a trap, admitted Carlisle. Together, we might be able to deal with what's waiting for us there.

Each nodded, determined.

♦♦♦

Elder twisted the shell of his cell phone for the umpteenth time. He glanced toward the door, then at the people around him. Everyone was focused on their task, and he was the only one standing in the middle of the room, arms flailing.