Chapter Thirty-Five

The Holy Mother sighed. Although she was patient by nature, this time she couldn't contain her irritation. She and Elder had finally reached the room, only minutes after the power had been restored. She had asked Elder to send them a troop of soldiers, but apparently she had only hired incompetents ; the troop was taking too long to arrive, and if this continued, the vampires would slip through their fingers again. If it was me who had called them, they wouldn't have dragged on so long, she thought, furious. Did she have to do everything herself to get the job done right ?

No sound was coming from the room, since it was soundproofed, and that didn't help her. Were the vampires still inside ? The question remained unanswered because of the soldier who had tracked them ; instead of waiting for them here, he had gone back the other way to get his little friends ! What a bunch of happy fools I have hired, my word !

The sound of footsteps calmed his nervousness a little. At last, they were going to be able to move up a gear ! As soon as the troop was at their side, she didn't delay in giving them her orders.

- I want three soldiers with me, the rest of you stay on guard, outside ! Elder, be useful to us for once, and unlock the door !

The interpellant was startled, then hurried to take out his cell phone, not without throwing a dark look at the Holy Mother, which the latter intercepted.

- A problem ? She spat.

- I haven't said anything yet.

- So don't hang around.

The room had been soundproofed since the beginning of their installation here. The Holy Mother had made this choice for the sake of simplicity ; she couldn't bear to hear the cries of pain when she worked in the next room. Today was the only time she regretted this decision. Once the door was opened, the Blessed Mother was not surprised to see no one - alive - in the room. With a wave of her hand, she asked the three armed soldiers to follow her quietly. Although the room was pitch black, the neon lights betrayed the recent use of white light. It remained to be seen if the vampires were still there. Inch by inch, the Holy Mother watched each bed with rapt attention. She had spent so much time in this room that she could have drawn a map of it from memory. If anything had moved, she would see it.

♦♦♦

Meanwhile, the cacophony had just stopped in the basement entrance. Jacob lay on the floor, shaking with pain, unable to move. Around him, a huge Wolf was watching, alert. A few moments earlier, a dozen soldiers had tried to stop it in its race to reach Jacob. The Wolf had overtaken them, killing for his own survival and that of his friend. He had no choice, even if he would have liked it otherwise. But when men are afraid, they make mistakes, and these men used to fight their fear by killing the object of their fear. Their fate was sealed in advance. Since then, no one had come back to try to kill it ; however, the Wolf remained on guard, ready for anything. His ears moved restlessly, trying to pick up familiar sounds, with the hope that the vampires had not abandoned them here.

♦♦♦

Esme and Rosalie had just dropped the others off at the hospital in Forks ; sitting in Carlisle's car, Esme at the wheel, they hesitated about what to do next. They had reassured Alice and Astrea before leaving, even though no one was fooled : the girls had no plan, and every decision involved heavy consequences. Nothing was to be taken lightly. Rosalie consulted her watch.

- They must have gone out by now. She remarked. We had no trouble finding the exit, even without a plan.

Esme nodded thoughtfully.

- They may already be on their way to Forks. She agreed. We can't leave without knowing where they are.

- Do you propose to call them ? Questioned Rosalie.

A time. The two girls thought about the proposal, weighing the pros and cons.

- If we see how we managed to get out, there's a good chance they'll succeed too. Esme finally answered, with a finger on her lips.

- And if they were ever caught, whether we call them or not, it won't make any difference. Rosalie added, taking her phone out of her pocket.

- Are you sure we should do this ? Esme hesitated.

Rosalie glanced at her. She took the time to think for a few seconds before deciding.

- We don't have a better plan.

- Wait, what if they try to run away ? We could put them in danger !

This remark made the blonde hesitate, and she finally put her phone away.

- That's right. Then, it does not remain us any more but to go there, we cannot remain there. She decided.

♦♦♦

Emmett was starting to feel oppressed under the sheet. Not that he needed to breathe since he was a vampire, but the atmosphere was weighing on him. By the time they had heard the door open, they had already hidden. It had been at least two good minutes and only the sound of footsteps reached them ; and they were getting closer to them. Too much for his taste. The dead silence that reigned did not help to relax him, and the mere thought of being surrounded by corpses revolted him. And to think he had loved watching The Walking Dead... He swore he would never watch that show again.

Suddenly, breaking the silence, the music of the Star Wars theme filled the room. The phone was vibrating in his pants pocket, which he hurriedly took out to turn it off. But it was too late, of course, and a woman's scream rang out over the music. Emmett was thrown out of bed, crashing heavily to the floor. His phone flew out a meter in front of him, the screen throwing light into the still darkened room. Emmett had just enough time to read the number that had called him before his cell phone crashed face down. The music faded as the call ended, but the commotion that now reigned made little difference. He struggled to his feet, picking up his phone at the same time.

- You three, kneel down with your hands on your heads ! Ordered the woman.

She was wearing a white coat and carrying a weapon that left no room for discussion. Emmett went to kneel down next to Jasper, who glared at him.

- Do you have an urge to reach out to someone ? He quipped.

- The pizza guy. Emmett whispered to him, without a trace of mockery.

- I beg your pardon ?

Jasper was punched in the head by one of the soldiers who yelled at him to be quiet. Emmett answered anyway, knowing they had nothing to lose now.

- I wanted to surprise Renesmee. So I ordered pizza.

All the stress they'd built up so far evaporated, and the two boys laughed hysterically, confusing the soldiers around them. Even the woman in the white coat didn't know what to say and turned to the doctor, who shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!