FORTY SEVEN

"Smile"

Almost laughed as he watched Jack attempt to smile. Clearly the man was feeling awkward in public. The two were currently at the mall and Dave thought it'd be nice to have Jack pose with a store mascot.

He walks up to Jack and pats him on the cheek.

"Don't be nervous babe, just focus on me, okay?"

Jack nods after releasing a breath.

"Okay"

Dave takes his phone and opens the camera.

"Smile!"

Jack smiles and Dave takes the picture. Dave looks at the photo and smiles, immediately setting it as his lockscreen.

"Is it good?" Jack asks and Dave nods before giving him a peck on the cheek.

"It's perfect"

They walk around the mall looking for a flowershop and along the way, the couple attracts some attention as they walked hand in hand. Dave laughs when he sees a  group of high school girls squeal and cheer for them.

"You didn't tell me you were a celebrity here" he teases and Jack scoffs.

"They're fan girls. I'm sure there will be fictions about us tonight"

Dave laughs even louder. It was kinda flattering that strangers would write romance fictions about him and Jack. Hopefully it won't be dramatic as his real life.

"There's the flower shop"

The floral smell took over their senses as soon ss they stepped inside. Dave looked around for any meaningful flowers while Jack walked behind him.

"Which one do you want?" He asks and Dave shrugged.

"A meaningful flower, to show that I come in peace"

Jack smiles.

"Get a lotus, they represent calmness, rebirth and tranquility"

"Nice idea"

Dave heads to the counter and orders a lotus flower. When it came, the flower was in a fish bowl like vase, the fully bloomed flower sitting on top of water. Dave smiled.

"This will do just fine"

•°• ✾ •°•

"So you and John are dating?"

Austin nods, quickly chewing his food.

"Yes....is it a problem?" He asks and John's mother shook her head.

"Not at all, I raised John to be himself at all times and the way he lives his life now does not affect my own."

Austin nods with a soft smile.

"Do you have other embarrassing stories about him?"

She laughs and pats his head.

"I'll tell you more another day, for now I have to go to Paris for a shopping spree"

Austin shook his head. These people!

"Alright.....I guess"

Once she had left the room, Austin goes upstairs to look for John.

"John?"

"In the shower"

He sits on the bed and goes through his Instagram feed, he laughs when he sees an awkward picture of Jack. It seems the couple were having fun in Thailand. Hearing the door open, he sits up and John walks out with a towel around his waist.

"Where are you going?" Austin asks and John shruggs.

"To get one of my cars at the shop since Dad forgot about it"

"Can I come with? I'll drive you there"

"Of course you can but....you need an invite"

"What do you mean? You just invited me"

"No no, you need a special invite, something physical"

Austin looks him up and down and he chuckles.

"Ah, I see. You want a favour? You can get it after we get back"

John holds him by the waist.

"I'll hold you on to that"

Austin runs his hand up John's chest, the musky scented bodywash made him place his head on John's chest, taking it in.

"You okay?" John asks, Austin nodded and sighed.

"My dad would've liked you" he whispers. John held him tightly and kisses him on the head.

"If you're thinking like this then I'm sure he's already happy with everything"

Austin released a breath and smiled.

"You're right"

•°• ✾ •°•

The car parks under a tree for some shade and Dave could see a simple house a few feet away. A woman comes out with a bucket full of washed clothes and they watch as she hanged them on a clothesline. Dave turns to Jack.

"Are you ready?"

Jack nods and opens the door, he walks towards the house with Dave following behind him.

Each step he took, the more nervous he got.

"Mom" he says, a slight tremble in his voice.

The woman freezes for a moment and turns to him, face morphing into disbelief and shock.

"Jack?" She asks. Jack nodded, head down in shame. Dave gently pushes him forward.

"Hug her" he whispers and Jack held his mother for the first time in years.

"Welcome back Jack"

Jack released a shaky breath.

"I'm so sorry for leaving you....I'm so sorry mom"

They pull away from the hug and Jack wipes his mother's tears away.

"It's okay mom, I'm here now"

She nods then she notices the man behind her son.

"Is this your special friend?"

Jack nods and pulls Dave closer.

"Mom this is Dave....my fiancé. Dave this is my mother, Anong"

Dave smiles and hands her the vase.

"It's nice to meet you. I hope we can get along"

Anong smiled at him, she looks at her son and her smile widened. He looked so happy!

"This is a beautiful moment. Let's head inside and catch up"

Dave sighed in relief and Jack held his hand. The couple lock eyes for a moment and they could both feel it in their gut, this time it was going to be different.