Chapter 75 || Guilt

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean, she was sick, how is that your fault?" I asked. He sat up a little and turned to me.

"There's more to it than that." He started.

----

25 years ago*
Marc POV*

"You won't believe it, she said yes!" I looked up confused as Nigel burst through my bedroom door, his face flushed. Almost as if he had been running.

"What?" I couldn't help but laugh at how he looked, he closed the door behind him and tried his best to catch his breath as he walked up to me.

"Ayleen," he said in between breaths. "She liked me back." He let himself fall on my bed.

"Oh.." I looked away, "that's... great." I tried my best to be happy, but I can't help but feel jealous.

"It is isn't it." He laughed staring up at the ceiling.

"So does that mean you two are like- together now?" I asked carefully, scared of the answer.

He sat up and turned to me, "we are" he said, a bright smile on his face. I tried my best to copy his expression and match his excitement. I can't tell him how I really felt.

He stayed in my room for a while, telling me all about what happened the night before, and I listened to all of it. I was happy he was, but it still hurt.

But not as much as in the years that came after.

Because we were a group of three, we were always together, which meant those two were always together. And I had to sit through their lovey-dovey behavior. I couldn't say anything about it, they were just in love, and I was nothing but a third wheel.

"I think it just gonna head home." I sighed getting up from the grass. At this point, all I was doing here was sitting a few meters away from them as they giggled amongst themselves.

"What? Why?" Nigel asked as he got up as well.

"I feel like I'm intruding," I said a little quieter.

"I'm sorry-" he started, I held up my hand, shaking my head.

"Don't worry, I get it, you two stay here," I said.

"But-" he tried.

"It's fine, I didn't mind," I said again, as I tried my best to keep eye contact with him. He stayed quiet as I started to walk away.

"Can we hang out later then?" he yelled after me. I turned to look at him.

"We can't. It's a full moon." I sighed. He stayed quiet. His face said enough. "I'll see you guys tomorrow," I turned around again and left, this time without being stopped.

----

2 years later*

"So when are you gonna get a girlfriend?" Nigel asked as he made himself at me on my bed.

"Not interested," I said as I tried my best to read the book I had grabbed.

"Why not?" he laughed as he turned to me.

"I'm just not," I said back blankly. I heard the sheets rustle as he got up

"Maybe you should try anyway- it might make you less grumpy." he laughed.

I let go of my book and turned to look at him. "What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

He let out a laugh as he dropped his legs off the bed. "You heard me." he got up, making his way over to me. "Maybe it would help to have someone special in your life," he added.

"I doubt it," I said as I turned back to my desk. I felt his hands on my shoulders as he continued to annoy me.

"Oh come on, do you never even think about it?" he asked,

"Nope."

"Not even a little?" he leaned down. I shook my head. I was more than ready to end this conversation. Afraid of the direction it was going.

"You've got to have imagined something..." I felt his say in my ear quietly. I could almost feel the smirk on his face.

I could feel my face burning up as I felt his breath on my cheek, I quickly turned away and got up, pushing him back. "Can we please stop talking about this now!" I yelled, my back turned to him.

"Okay, okay- I'm sorry," I heard him. "I'll stop."

I let out a sigh as I turned back to him. "I don't want a girlfriend," I said firmly, making eye contact. He nodded as he smiled at me.

"Alright!" he smiled holding his arms up. "Your loss."