In-Lawless-Tika

The food on my plate is amazing. It really is hands down the best fried chicken that I have ever had. Knowing that I am trying his favorite food sends butterflies through my stomach for some reason. It's like we secretly share something.

To say that the dinner is awkward would be an understatement. There have been long moments of silence with no one saying anything as we all eat. My gaze keeps flying to him to see what he is doing but he almost seems distracted. Every other time that I have been with him he seems to be so well put together. If I had to guess, I would say that his parents don't know about me yet.

Well, if I am so important to him as he says, then why not tell them. The thought puts a sour taste in my mouth and I can no longer enjoy the delicious food. When his mother suggest that I can look forward to becoming his mate it's almost like something in me snaps. "Who's to say that I even want a mate. Not everyone needs love to go about their daily life" I say rudely.

All I have heard about since coming here is mates. Does no one talk about anything else? Does no one ask questions to get to know others? I think that I have had enough of this mate business. Wouldn't it be okay for two people just to talk and get to know each other the old fashioned way? The way they say it almost makes me think that they expect us to just jump into bed with them. That won't be happening on my end no mate how much I enjoy the stupid tingles.

I accept his mother's apology well enough. I shouldn't have acted so rudely when I just spoke to her. The woman has been nothing but kind to me since I met her. "Oh, sorry about that dear. I wasn't trying to say that you needed your mate. I am a firm believer that a woman can do anything that they want without a man. Even if they think that we are dense sometimes." Her words soothe the negative feeling in my chest and I try to go back to eating my food.

"Well, other than obvious things the visits of the other humans are going well. I have received a report as of this morning that two people have found mates in the Pegasus clan. Maverick their leader was one of them" Xander states loudly. I lift an eyebrow at him in question as I wonder why he is yelling.

"And what is the occupation of his mate?" His father ask him with a smirk. I try not to pay too much attention because I don't even want to know which of the females he was mated to. Even though I don't know many of them I have assumed that a lot of them are bad. We all did come from the same place after all.

"Oh, well I don't know. Why?" Xander ask him as they continue to eat.

"Well, I thought that I would ask about someone else's mate since my son doesn't seem inclined to tell me about his" His father says cheekily. Xander starts to choke on his food as his eyes bulge. I smile at the pure irony of the situation. Looms like he didn't tell dear old mommy and daddy about me. Well, I won't be on the butt end of someone joke. He tries to kick me under the table to stop me as he reads my intentions. Despite the calmness the tingles bring me I shake them off.

"His mate is a prisoner just like all the other humans brought here today. I've even heard that she murdered two people that were very close to her" I tell his father seriously. When his entire face blanches to a pale white I know that I said the right thing.

"Oh god. Tell me that isn't true son. Why would you be mated to such a female?" his mother exclaims loudly as a wheeze leaves Xander's chest. Their reactions are so perfect that it takes everything in me not to laugh. His mouth gapes open like a fish as he tries to figure out a way to answer. "Wait, how do you know these things?" His mother ask turning to me.

"Well, I do have the information from a very good source. She has been staying at Xander's home for two days now. I do hear that she refused him and sent him away. Sorry to tell you but it looks like your son won't be getting a mate after all" I tell her seriously as I pick up my napkin.