Staking a Claim-Maximus

I stand inside the ether as I drop Xander off to his mate. I have no idea what the hell the human was thinking. When it comes to women I have learned one thing, be wary of tears. As soon as I saw her crying I came straight to get him. Besides, I can barely deal with the tears of my own mate let alone someone else's. I have had enough tears to deal with during this damn pregnancy than any grown man should have to.

You are the one that overreacts every time you see them. You are the reason she is mad again and denying us kisses.

"Oh really, it's all on me. If I remember correctly, you are the one that took over, flashed got her ice cream. You didn't even ask if she was sad this time. You just kept giving her stuff until her crying turned to yelling. All I did was tell her she shouldn't be yelling when I was concerned about her" I remind him as he tucks his tail in between his legs.

I just wanted to make her feel better. Actions speak louder than words.

"Our mate is a reporter. Her life is all about words. These hormones are just making us crazy" I say trying to comfort him.

Can we go back to her now. Maybe she has changed her mind about kisses. She does like them as much as we do.

"yeah buddy, let's go" I say as we flash through the ether. With thoughts of our pregnant mate on our mind, Xander is quickly forgotten.

When we appear in the cabin we find Emily pacing. Immediately on high alert we walk up to her and stop the walking. "What took you so long to come back? You had me waiting forever" she says as she turns into our arms. I can't help but pull her tiny frame into my chest as I hold her tighter. She sighs contently as our baby kicks. The motion has me leaning away so that I can caress her stomach.

"Xander was in a situation with his mate. How are you feeling?" I ask her cautiously. Her eyes are dry but I can sense some pain coming from her through the bond. I rush forward immediately and start checking her over.

"Would you stop? There is nothing wrong with me. I was just stuck here waiting for you." She says swatting my hands away.

I raise my hands in surrender not knowing how to deal with her when she is in this state. The moment I bring up the pain that I feel in the bond she acts as if I violated her privacy. Scratching my head I look around the room for something to do.

"Why don't we stay here for dinner tonight. I can make the breakfast for dinner just like you like" I say trying to offer an olive branch.

"No, I'm not hungry. I think that I am just going to lay down" she says and she leaves the room. I'm left standing there once more as I try to figure out what's going on. I just know that something is off.

Go after her idiot

My feet fly across the cabin to find her climbing onto our bed. I can smell the slight scent of her tears in the air and I slowly make my way to my side of the bed. When she lays down on her side I kick off my shoes and slide in behind her. I pull her closer and plaster her back side to my front. My face goes right over my mark on her neck as I inhale the sweet scent of her.

"I just want to help" I whisper. I have no idea what has gotten into her recently. I have always heard that pregnant women can be moody but I think that this is different.

"I know you do Max. I just don't know how you can" she whispers back. I slide my arm under her and turn her toward me. Tears are on her face and her lips are swollen from where she has been biting them. My pangs at the sadness I can see written on her face. Her eyes will look anywhere but into my own. She can hide how she feels through the bond but her eyes reveal everything.

"You have to tell me what's wrong, Love. I can't help you until you do" I say pleading with her. There has to be something that I can do. I can't take feeling the pain that is coming from her.