Caged Bird-Tika

As the horn sounds for us to wake up I rise from my cot and bang a fist against the bed above me. Rising from the bed I stretch as I walk over to the sink to brush my teeth and was my face before leaving the cell. My cell mate Nona groans as her body cracks in all places from such horrible arrangements. With a grimace I place the toothbrush in my mouth and brush my teeth as quickly as I can.

Even after being in here for four years I still can't stand the toothpaste. It's supposed to be healthy because it contains baking soda. They definitely tried to cover the amount of salt with the barest hint of mint. The first couple of months I spent using it I almost threw up from the overwhelming taste of salt. Now that I have been here for so long it is just another part of the day that I hate.

I move away from the sink allowing Nona to prepare for her morning also as I change into the only other set of close I have. A white t-shirt and another jump suit. Everyone wears the same uniform. Wearing them half off or tied is not permitted no matter how hot it gets. Every inch of us is covered at all times or there are consequences. Just as we finish dressing a knock from the baton of a correction officer beats against the bars of our cells.

Used to the routine we place our wrist into the space provided and feel as the cuffs are snapped onto our wrist. I grind my teeth as mines are tightened extra tight by an officer that seems to have a personal vendetta against me. "Don't worry girly, I won't hurt you too much" he says as he laughs. I quickly pull my arms away from the cell not wanting him to touch me longer than necessary. Even though he has only been on this tier for a year he has made it known that he doesn't like me. Every chance he gets he harasses me or haggles me.

The bars open with a loud clang and we exit the cell to get in line for chow. The prison is still dark at this time and It is only 5 a.m. I have had to train my stomach to be ready for food at this after all these years. I quickly learned that if I didn't eat then I would have to wait until the two other mealtimes. I sigh with relief when I remember today is not the day that we head to the showers.

Those days are always the worst for us as the prison guards love to toss out salacious barbs in our direction when we are bare. They are never allowed to come directly into the showers unless they are women unless it is to break up a fight. As I hold my tray I grimace at the grey slop, the stale, bread, and the juice box I have been given. I still haven't gotten used to this slop that they call oatmeal but at this point I have learned to swallow instead of chew.

As I finish what they call food three loud knocks echo through the large room and it quickly grows quiet. The warden is here. The soles of his shoes hitting the floor echoes loudly and he stops right near the metal table in which I sit. I don't dare look up, not wanting to catch his attention. Most of the girls here that do never come back the same after a meeting with him.

"Tika Heather, Janie Mathis, Sierra Avalon, Nancy Grieves, Savannah Harden, Monica Winston, Shelby Connors, and Asia Stone. Report to my office now" he bellows. No one dare moves until you hear the soles of his shoes no more. Just as quickly All the names shouted are gathered and marched to his office. Once we enter we are place into a line and the air grows heavy. Everyone waits in silence as we wait to hear what we have been called here for.

My mind runs through everything that I have experience the last few weeks and I am unable to come up with any trouble that I have been in. I stare confused at a spot in the carpet as I wonder what I could have done to warrant a visit to the warden. Just as I run out of items to review his gravelly voice fills the air.

I watch as his shiny dress shoes come into my vision and he walks down the line of women. My body feels disgusting as I feel his gaze travel over me. My heart rate picks up speed and continues to beat fast even as he moves on. "You have all been called here today for a tremendous opportunity. Does anyone have any idea of what I speak of?" he ask with an air of authority.