Past Repeats-Tika

I have to fight tears as I run out of the tavern. The beer that I looked forward to enjoying long forgotten as my heart squeezed in my chest. I can't believe that I was starting to be so foolish and to actually trust him. I know that I shouldn't be surprised because this is what happens every time. People always say and act one way to your face only to let their true colors be revealed.

First my parents, and then my boyfriend. I haven't been able to trust anyone in years due to being in that stupid prison. Every day was just to survive to the next one. I feel like he lied to me. He said that I was his and I just wanted to badly to belong to someone. As I have the thought I realize that I never truly have.

When I walk outside and the sun hits my face, it doesn't feel the same as it did earlier. The tears that have started to leak on my cheeks feel cold in the breeze. My vision is blurred as I head in a random direction away from the noise. When I am in the quiet of the trees a loud sob leaves my chest from the unfairness of it all. Why can't anyone just love me for me?

As I fight for breath through my tears, memories of that last day with my parents fly through my head. I can so clearly remember the words that were screamed in the fight that morning. How I questioned them about what my mother's maid said. As the words pass through my mind tears spring anew.

"I know why you feel so ashamed of her. In your station she isn't the daughter that I would have wished for. I have no idea how you have the patience to deal with her tantrums still. Maybe it would be a good idea that you cut her off" the maid had said.

I had watched from the doorway as my mother and father just nodded along with what she said. No one came to my defense and gave her a reason to my actions. I grew so angry in that moment because they had put it all on me. They were so content to do it like they had never done anything wrong. When they just agreed I found out that they believed that I was the problem.

"Cutting her off seems a bit drastic. What would she do if she didn't have any money? Lord knows that the child isn't good at anything. She has no talents or ideas of her own" my dad replied as he turned another page in his newspaper.

It was at that moment that I had heard enough. I walked into the room and their conversation halted. They honestly all looked at me as if I had no right to enter the room and hear their conversation.

"You say these things when none of you can ever be truly honest with each other. Since none of you want to take the initiative I might as well. The only reason your maid wants me gone mother is because her and father are sleeping with each other" I state as I hold the maids gaze. My mother gasps as it is the most horrendous things she has ever heard. I even still had the nerve to look apologetic as I saw the tears on her face while my father turned red and sputtered.

"She also wants me gone so that she can continue to see your jewelry at his behest. She has been slowly adding to her collection all these years" I state. My father rises from his chair in anger as he gets in my face. When I refuse to back down from his angry gaze he slapped me across the cheek. It was the final blow for me literally.

"Well, since I am now physically abused here I will be taking my leave. However, mother you should know that you aren't innocent in all this. I have heard you tell the maids how you only had me to keep father. I have felt the detachment when we spend personal time together. I have missed out on all the affection in the last nineteen years of my life. Did you know that not once have either of you ever said, 'I love you'? I was always just a child that neither of you wanted. Goodbye Mr. and Mrs. Heather" I said.

By the end of my precious speech I couldn't even look at them anymore. When I turned to leave no one said anything to me. In my room I gathered the few essential items I would need. I packed my own bag. I place all the cards they had given me on the unmade duvet. No one stopped me and no one said anything. At the end of the driveway I called my boyfriend and he came to get me. It was a Sunday morning that I would never forget.