Chapter Fifty-Five

Start from the beginning

- Well, I was thinking that the longer we wait here, the more risks we take.

The two men nodded and the second one spoke up.

- This is exactly what we were talking about before we joined you. This situation is taking a dubious turn.

- But I don't want us to leave here until we get our money. Smith grumbled.

- Neither do we. Said the blond boy. But what are we going to do if the boss doesn't show up ?

Smith frowned, frustrated. They had only two choices : Either leave and drop the money, or stay here and risk getting caught... But there was a third solution, which made sense after careful consideration.

- I want that money, no matter what. If the boss doesn't show up, we'll go get it.

The toothy grin of the two men sitting across from him confirmed his decision.

♦♦♦

- Shit...

Garrett slumped onto the bench behind him, devastated. What the hell were they going to do ?

- I'm sorry. Our colleagues are already doing research, so we won't waste any time. We'll try to do it as soon as possible. In the meantime, take it easy and if you feel any pain, tell someone. We don't know anything about this poison and how long the medicine will take effect on you.

Mr. Davis turned back, heading for the laboratory, leaving Garrett, Astrea, Rosalie, Esme, Edward, Alice and Bella in the hospital corridor. The man had just given them the bad news about the poison. What could they do now ? Except wait and hope...

Don't worry, they'll get there.

Garrett looked up at Astrea. Although she was still very worried about Carlisle in the operating room, she gave him a small smile. She sat down next to him as he replied.

I hope you're right.

I'm always right.

Of course... But what if you're not this time ?

The ex-nomad lowered his eyes to look into his little vampire's.

I will drink your blood to die with you ?

She proposed.

Even if I am absolutely not of agreement, I imagine that to protest will not be useful for nothing ?

Indeed. Especially since even if I stay alive, I'll end up starving to death, don't you think ?

Garrett shrugged.

I'm sure you could eat someone if you were really hungry.

Maybe, but I don't want to.

They remained silent for a few minutes, each deep in thought. The other members of the Cullen family were also silent, waiting for the verdict concerning Carlisle and the others. When Astrea finally spoke again, Garrett almost jumped in surprise. It must be said that the last events had put his nerves on edge.

Do you remember that time we went to a library in Italy ? Just after we met the Volturi...

Yes, why ?

I had found a book about the beings-that-are and...

In a library ?

Garrett raised his eyebrows in bewilderment. She looked up at him, scornfully.

Not in a normal library, silly. The Volturi's.

You should have said.

I thought you remembered.

Apparently not. Libraries aren't my thing in general.

I knew that. For a long time I wondered if you could read, for a start.

She replied as seriously as she could. The ex-nomad rolled his eyes.

Can we start again ?

The little vampire nodded.

Anyway, I found a book that talked about people like us and if I remember correctly what I read, if one of us dies, the other becomes a normal vampire again.

This remark left Garrett wondering.

Interesting.

It was Astrea's turn to shrug.

It doesn't change anything for me. I don't want to live without you.

Garrett put an arm around her shoulders, tenderized. He held her close, praying that the doctors would find an antidote that would defeat the poison before it reached her heart.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!