Red Rose

Yu's POV:

"Alright, everyone..." Our sensei says. "Please remember that your project on astronomy is due on Monday. Considering today is Friday, that gives you... four more days."

Shit... I completely forgot about that dumb project... Oh, well. On the bright side, I get to work with Yosuke.

Ha... Yosuke...

Oh, shit, now I'm smiling.

Eh, whatever... I can still look forward to it, right?

That's if he isn't busy with Miura...

He told me he'd still have time for me, right?

Why am I being so clingy? God...

~~~

The school day goes by, and, pretty quickly, the three-thirty bell rings.

I pack up my stuff when Shin sits himself on my desk in front of me.

"Hey... Yu."

"Hi," I smile.

"We've got some time to kill before the show, right?"

I nod. The show starts at six, meaning we have a couple of hours to spare.

"Uh... I was wondering if you wanted to hang out with me?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Uhm... Okay. Thanks, Yu..."

"What's the matter with you?" I ask.

"Hm? Oh, nothing... Sorry to worry you."

"Shin..."

"Let's go, yeah?"

~~~

Shin takes me to the hill overlooking town. The two of us lean into the fence, staring down. Inaba looks... so small from up here. It's been a while since I came here with Yosuke, too. It feels... nice.

"You okay?" I turn to face Shin.

"Yeah," he nods. "Don't you think it's weird?"

"What?"

"I mean... Everyone knows how small Inaba is... But this just proves it."

"I like it being a small town," I admit.

"You do?"

"Yeah. I like the peacefulness of it all."

"Maybe not so peaceful after those murders last year."

"Hm."

"But, in the end, everything was figured out, right? They caught the perp."

"Yeah," I smile. "They did."

He sighs. "I used to come up here all the time before I moved away."

"You did?" My eyes widen. "Why?"

"I don't know..." He laughs nervously. "I didn't have many friends... well, besides Hana. I felt less lonely up here."

Geez... I never knew how alone he actually felt...

"You know, being able to see everyone from up here... It was like I could rule the world," he smiles nostalgically, the gentle breeze messing up hair. "And... now that you're here..." He takes my hand in his own. "It's like everything is perfect."

"Geez, why're you being so sappy right now?" I chuckle, parting our hands.

"I just want you to know... If anything happens, I'm really sorry."