The World Breaks Everyone

Yu's POV:

"Stay with me," I croak, bringing his head to rest on my lap. "Come on, Shin. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry..."

His eyes slowly open and he stares back at me with his pools of brown, struggling to keep them wide. "Yu?"

"Yeah," I sigh. "Yeah, I'm here, Shin. Fuck, I'm... so sorry. Let me heal you."

But no matter how many different Personas I summon or how many different skills I use, his condition barely improves.

"It's the bullet," he chuckles, his voice hoarse.

"...This might hurt, okay?" I mutter.

I lift up his shirt, and feel a little lightheaded at the pace the blood is pouring out of him.

"What are you doing?" He slurs.

"Hold my hand," I say. "Squeeze it if it starts to hurt."

He doesn't fully understand, but he trusts me enough to listen.

I slot my katana blade carefully into the bullet wound, struggling to pry it out - especially with one hand.

Shin beneath me groans, squishing my hand even tighter. "Shit! That hurts!"

"Sh-Shin," I stammer. "I- I can't. I can't get it out. It's stuck..."

He releases my hand and leans his head back. "It's okay," he breathes.

"Wh-what the hell does that mean?" I snap, taking my katana back.

He rolls his shirt down with his hand, giving me a small smile.

"We need to get you back to the real world," I say. "To a real doctor. Shin, we have to fix this..."

"Stop," he whispers. "Stop it, koibito."

"Shin-"

"I'm losing consciousness," he mutters.

"Don't do that," I plead. "Please. Just stay with me, okay?" I press my hand on the wound, pressurising it as much as I can.

"It's okay."

"It's not, asshole," I snap. "If you don't fight, you're not gonna make it through this."

"I can already feel my heart rate begin to slow," he tells me.

"Well, get it working again," I scoff. "Can't I do CPR, or something!?"

"No," he shakes his head. "It's too late anyhow."

"Shin..." I bite my lip. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so fucking sorry."

"What for?" He says softly.

"You shouldn't be like this," I mutter. "You should be alive. And well."

"What, with Yosuke here in my place?" He frowns.

"No," I sigh. "I... I was gonna get us out of this. All of us."

"It's fine, Yu. All you have to do now is keep Yosuke safe. Can you do that? For me?"

"Shin..." I choke up.

He reaches a frail hand to my face and I lean into it.

"I'm glad I met you, Yu."

"...I am, too."

"I love you, you know? So much. I'm sorry for ruining what we had. But... I know you'll make Yosuke happy. He loves you so fucking much, you know?" He lets out a small chuckle, followed by a coughing fit.

Once he calms down, he lays his arm back across his chest. "I think I like this more than going to jail."

"Don't say that."