Blood Is Thicker Than Water

Yu's POV:

"So... he's safe?" Shin's eyes begin to droop through the screen.

"I wouldn't say that," I groan. I lay on my side, trying to keep the slur out of my voice. "He's not safe with Miura."

"Miura loves him, right?" He murmurs. "So he won't hurt him."

"We don't know for certain," I frown.

"Don't get so worked up about it," he says. "He knows what he's doing."

"Maybe he doesn't," I sigh. "Maybe he's just putting on a brave face for us."

"For you."

"What?"

"You're doing exactly what he didn't want. You're worrying about him."

"How the hell can he expect me to be calm about this shit?" I hiccup.

He pauses for a moment, blinking. "Have you been...?"

"Yes, okay," I roll my eyes. "Big deal. So what? Get off my back."

"I wasn't gonna-" He begins. "Are... are you okay?"

I nod. "Just... try to leave this part out when we next meet him, okay?"

"Yu," he sighs.

"I didn't call you for a lecture."

"You're right," he says. "I'm sorry. I'm... glad you called, actually."

"Really?"

"Yeah," he chuckles. "I mean... It's quite lonely without you, you know?"

"I... I know," I smile. "Same here..."

There's a small moment of silence between us.

"Hey, um... Shin?"

"What's up?"

"Are we... still friends?"

He smiles. "Of course, Yu. The best of friends."

My expression softens. "I'm glad."

"Even if I wanted something more," he murmurs. "Are you, uh, coming to school tomorrow?" He quickly tries to change the subject.

"My uncle said I should take the day off," I say.

"Oh," he frowns. "It's gonna get lonely without you."

"You'll be fine," I say. "...Make sure to tell them about Yosuke, okay? Tell them that he's... okay. For now, at least... There's no need for them to worry as well."

"...We're gonna have to go back in soon, though, right? I mean, it's set to rain in the next few days."

"Yeah," I sigh. "We'll head in tomorrow."

"Are you sure?" He seems uncertain. "Yosuke told you to stay out. I don't think he intended you to come the following day-"

"His safety is my number one priority right now," I say. "I don't care what it takes."

He sighs, licking his lips. "I'll have your back."

"I'll be counting on you," I grin.

"Uh... Yu? If you... ever want to talk about the whole alcohol thing... You know where I am."

I open my mouth to snap at him, but then quickly bite my tounge. He's just trying to help. "Thanks."

"...Goodnight."

"'Night."

~~~

Yosuke's POV:

It's strangely quiet as we sit down. Well, of course it is. Giichi and I are the only ones in the room.