Stone-Cold Killer

Yosuke's POV:

Shin, Kanji, Teddie and I all sit together in the springs, accompanied by some other guys from our school.

"I... love... hot springs!!!" Teddie cheers.

"It's a shame Yu isn't here." Shin brushes the water beneath with his fingertips.

"Yeah," I sigh.

"Did he say why he wasn't coming?"

"Not necessarily."

"What's that mean?"

"He and Yosuke had an argument just before we left the room," Kanji says.

"Dude," I grunt. "Shut it, okay?"

"Argument?" Shin frowns. "What about?"

I roll my eyes. "About you."

"...Huh?"

"It doesn't matter, okay?" I groan. "Just shut up about it."

"Ha, he stuck up for me, didn't he?" He smirks with satisfaction. "That's my Yu."

"He ain't 'yours', okay? He's a real fucking person that you shouldn't toy around with," I snap. "So just shut up, dammit."

"Geez," Teddie whistles. "Someone's in a bad mood."

"I swear to god, Teddie, if you don't--"

"Hey, don't take it out on Teddie," Kanji frowns.

"Listen, I'm sorry if I made things worse, or somethin'," Shin says. "If I could make it better, I would."

"Disappear," I whisper.

"...What?"

"You heard me."

"I'm sorry, Yosuke," he sighs. "But you need me, even if you won't admit it."

"I have never needed you."

"I can't change the past," he says. "But I can shape our future. That is, if you can still imagine me in yours."

"It's not fair for you to be part of my life," I shrug.

"I know what I've done, and I promise you that I won't make the same mistake twice."

"But you almost did," I snap. "You almost did. And if that had worked... If Yu--"

"Wait, Sensei?" Teddie pipes up. "...What happened to Sensei?"

"Nothing," Shin smiles kindly. "Hey, don't worry about it, okay?"

"It did sound kinda serious..." Kanji says.

"Mind your own business, alright?" I groan.

"He ain't just your friend," Kanji points out. "Every one of us here cares about him, and we have the right to know what's going on."

"It's the past," Shin explains.

"Past, really?" I scoff.

"Yes," he grits his teeth. "After all this... it will be."

I know what he means. When the two of them leave the country... If the two of them leave the country.

"I'm heading back up to the room," I say.

"Hey, don't be like that," Shin groans.

"I'm not being like anything, okay?" I frown. "I just wanna be alone for a while."

"Alone?" Teddie scoffs. "You mean alone with Sensei, right?"

"Maybe he's the one who wants to be alone," Shin sighs. "Just stay, okay?"