Permanent

Yu's POV:

Stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Stupid who? Stupid me! Stupid who? Stupid me!

Geez... It feels like I'm slowly going insane.

A full bottle of sake rests on my table in front of me. Just sorta... sitting there.

I know I shouldn't have bought it. I know that. But... One glass shouldn't hurt, right? I mean, don't I deserve a little something to take the edge of? After everything today...

After being told I'm not needed; after being told I can't do anything... I'm just useless.

Don't be an idiot. Just stay sober. It's not that hard.

But it is. My mouth longs for the sweet taste of it. My mind relies on it to be put at ease. Everything is just so... easy with it.

Think of Yosuke.

Why the hell should I? Just 'cause he's out there on a worldwide adventure and I'm left behind. Whatever.

I reach my hand over and brush the sides of the bottle with my fingertips. I bite my lip.

Why am I thinking so hard about this? I deserve it. Everything is just so... shit.

He's not coming back.

I already know that.

There's no way he'll be able to trick Miura. It's just impossible; especially in his line of work.

He's an idiot. He's gonna get himself killed... Unless he wants to stay there... Does he want to stay there?

If that dungeon is Hana's idea of her business, and Miura controls her... Wouldn't that mean he has the ultimate power there?

I mean, guys love power, huh? Especially when their boyfriend has the most of it.

What am I saying?

Yosuke is nobody's boyfriend. And... even then, he doesn't want the power. That's stupid. He's not shallow.

Not my Yosuke, at least.

What if... it was a cognitive version of Yosuke that spoke to me? That told me to stay away... All under Miura's command?

But why would he kiss you?

To make it all seem real! Of course!

My Yosuke would never leave me. He's just... unavailable right now. That wasn't him earlier. No way.

My Yosuke would tell me it all. And I'd help him. And we'd win, and tell everyone it was because of our amazing teamwork. And then I'd ask him to be my boyfriend. And then he would be!

My Yosuke...

Where are you?

~~~

Yosuke's POV:

His arms strangle my stomach, making it harder to breathe.

We lay in the bed, with the covers only barely on us. I struggle to find an appropriate way of holding him.

Suddenly, there a knock on the door.

"Come in," I say, loud enough for them to hear, but not loud enough to wake Giichi up.

The door reveals two Shadows.

"May we speak to Master?" One of them asks.

I gently sit up, removing Giichi from my waist. "He's... asleep?" I frown.