Way Of Life

Yu's POV:

It's been a good while since any of us have spoken. I think we're afraid to, honestly. I don't want to hear them plead for their lives. I don't want to tell them which of them I'm going to murder.

To be honest, I think I prefer the silence. Nobody can get hurt if it's silent. No guns, no words.

Just the sound of breathing. The sound of life pulsing through us all. The terrifying thought of it not lasting them much longer. The terrifying thought of having to shoot one of them.

And, for what? That sick bastard's entertainment? For his pleasure?

God... If I could kill him instead, trust me, I would. I'd shoot him so many times. In the chest, in the head, and anywhere else. So long as he was fucking dead.

What right has he to put them through this? All because he lost self control.

Hell, I'd be suprised if he ever were in control of his own mind. That fucking psychopath doesn't deserve to live. Not like Shin and Yosuke do.

They have purpose. They have people who love them. He doesn't. He has nothing. He deserves nothing.

God! Why didn't I kill that son of a bitch!? Why did that stupid kid stop me!? Why did I stop myself!?

This is what it has come down to. I could have stopped this. I could have. But I'm just a coward. A worthless piece of shit who can't do anything right.

God, Yosuke... Why? Why didn't I acknowledge you? Why didn't I see you when I finished the game? Why didn't I stay true to you? Why did I fuck this all up?

"Yu." Shin's voice cracks. He briefly clears his throat before trying again. "I want you to shoot me."

"What?" Yosuke would have jumped out of his seat if he weren't tied up.

"Yu," he says again, staring directly at me. "I can't see you, but I want to you know I'm being sincere."

"Shin..." I murmur.

"Yosuke doesn't deserve this. You know that, don't you? He should live. Not me. I'm... an idiot. I lost my purpose a long time ago. I wasted my life, Yu. I gave it all away for someone who never even cared about me."

"That's why you deserve a second chance," Yosuke snaps.

"No." He shakes his head with a faint smile. "I love you, Yosuke. And it's my job to look out for you. I know I've been a pretty shitty brother these past few years, and that's why I want you to go on without me."

"Don't say that..." He mutters.

"Maybe a few years doesn't matter to you, but it could make a hell of a lot of a difference, Yosuke. You still have your whole life to figure out."

"So do you," he scoffs.

"I got involved with the wrong people," he says. "That's all. And once you're in, you're in for good. There's no getting out of that now."

"Don't do this," I say, shaking.

"Yu," he turns to me. "You understand, don't you? You'd give anything to protect Yosuke. I know you. I know you would."

"What about you...?" I whisper.

"It'll be okay," he forces a smile. "It'll be just like before. Back when I wasn't around. It'll be like I never came back."

"What about Mom and Dad?" Yosuke splutters.

"What about them?" He shrugs. "It'll just look like a terrible accident. Nobody will blame you for it, Yosuke."