Without You

Yu's POV:

I stare up at him, giving him a slanted smile. I can see he's startled, for a start. Maybe I shouldn't have waited for him to notice that I was staring at him? Oh, well.

"Good morning," I repeat.

"Wh- what happened last night?" He asks as soon as he catches his breath. "Why... Why am I here?"

"Nothing happened," I reply, simply. "You just... fell asleep in my arms."

I watch as he squeezes his eyes shut in embarrassment, covering his face with his hands.

"And...?" He gives me the chance to continue.

"And I brought you up here."

"...Why were you sleeping on the floor?" He shuffles uncomfortably on the futon.

"I couldn't put you on the floor."

"It's your room," he reasons.

"I'm not bothered. We can share."

Shit. Did that sound weird? That sounded weird, didn't it?

His cheeks flush with embarrassment and he looks away.

"I- I was kidding, you know," I stammer. "I didn't mean-"

We hear a voice downstairs, snapping our attention away from the situation.

"Senseiiiiii!!" Teddie yells, appearing to be getting closer. "Yooooosuke!!!"

"Goddamn that bear," Yosuke groans.

"In here, Teddie," I call out.

In the next moment, Teddie bursts through the door, a smile wide on his face.

"Hiya, Sensei!" He grins.

"Hello, Teddie." I sit up, waving at him.

"You stole Yosuke last night," he says.

"Hm?" Yosuke turns in our direction as he hears his name being called.

"I was left all on my own," Teddie cries. "It was un-bearable! I missed you so much, Yosuke!" He runs up to Yosuke and swings his arms around his neck.

"Don't ever do that again, you hear?" He cries into his shoulder.

"Goddammit it, Teddie." Yosuke pushes him away. "Stop being dramatic. I bet you loved having the room to yourself."

"Yes," Teddie wipes his crocodile tears. "So don't come back!"

He turns and calls for Nanako.

"Geez, I really don't get that bear, sometimes..."

"Rise's been teaching him a lot," I chuckle.

"You're right there."

And for a moment, just for a moment, I feel like we actually share a connection. Again... Like before. Though, it doesn't last, of course.

My phone vibrates in my pocket, and Yosuke stares at it until I take it out.

"It's Rise," I say.

"Cool," he replies. "Take it, I don't mind. I'll wait downstairs."

"Okay." I close the door behind him as he leaves.

~~~

Yosuke's POV:

I guess I feel kinda dirty for doing this: eavesdropping on his and Rise's conversation. I mean, I coulda stayed if I wanted, right? I know he would have let me. So, why is this any different? Because he thinks I'm not there? God, I suck for this, but I can't stop.