Lump in My Throat

Yosuke's POV:

Giichi and I leave the rink to get a refill on drinks. Then we see Yu sitting between Chie and Yukiko on the benches. I frown at the sight.

They're laughing about something, but we're too far away to hear. Chie hands him a snowcone before shoving it into his nose. They laugh some more as he licks himself clean.

"Everything okay?" Giichi asks.

"Yeah..."

"You're lying."

"I'm just gonna go get my cell back, alright?"

"That's just an--"

I walk away before he can finish his sentence. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't need a reminder that I'm using that damned phone as an excuse to talk to him.

The only reason I need an excuse is because of Giichi. And, I can't lie, I really don't like it. I don't like doubting my best friend. I don't like doubting my friend, either.

It's not like I can go and ask him straight up if he punched Giichi in the gut, can I? He'd never forgive me...

But, I want the truth, don't I? I suppose any way will suffice.

"Hi, guys..." I say, shoving my hands in my pockets, and trying not to look at Yu.

"Hey," Chie shrugs.

"Hi!" Yukiko smiles.

Yu grunts.

"Wanna join us?" Yukiko asks enthusiasticly. "Here." Before I have chance to reply, she shuffles up, leaving a gap between her and Yu.

I can't say no, now, can I?

I quickly sit down, looking over to him.

"Please don't ignore me," I whisper.

"Hm?" He quickly snaps his face toward mine, dazed.

"He wasn't even listening," Chie chuckles.

"Oh..."

"Sorry," he shakes his head. "Just thinking."

"About what?"

"...Nothing. It doesn't matter."

"Why aren't you with Giichi-kun, Yosuke?" Yukiko asks. "Or did you break up?"

Yu shoots a quick glance at me, too. It's obvious he doesn't believe that I did, either.

"No." I rub my hands down my knees. "We're still together."

He doesn't say a word, but I can sense the frustration radiating from his body.

"Why aren't you over there with him, then?" Chie says.

"I... uh... Came to get my cell back," I answer.

"Right, sorry." Yu quickly takes my phone from his jacket pocket, and hands it to me, not even looking me in the eye. "Sorry I kept it so long."

"Hey, don't apologize," I chuckle. "I wanted you to have it. So... you could talk to Shin."

"Yeah..." He sighs. "Thanks, by the way."

"What are friends for, right?"

"Yeah..."

"Is that all?" Yukiko frowns.

"U-uh... yes," I say.

"Gee, it's nice to see you, too," Chie scoffs.

"Oh, come on!" I shrug. "It's not my fault you guys are over here, and not on the ice."

"We came to comfort Yu," she mutters. "Considering you weren't available."