Back to You

Yosuke's POV:

Do I feel bad about breaking things off? Yeah, I do. But I think it was the right decision.

I can't afford to have any distractions right now. I need to focus on Yu. I need to make him stay. He can't leave with Shin - to hell with that. It's safe here, where I am.

And, yeah, we're all in deep shit right now, but we can't give in. Shin's doing it again -- he's running from the mess he caused. Only this time Yu's going with him.

He can't do that. He can't take my best friend away. It's not about Shin, anymore. He's dragged so many people down that it's tiring. I wish he'd just go to the fucking police and tell them the truth. I don't give a damn if he gets locked up, too. It's probably where he deserves to be.

Giichi was right, though. He was there for me when Yu wasn't. And, I'm kinda grateful he was. Though I'd never admit that aloud. He was a nice guy. To me, at least. I just wish Yu liked him more. Or that I didn't feel so awkward around him.

Yeah, I guess he was easy to talk to, but it always felt like he was listening a bit too intently. Maybe that's not even a bad thing. Good listeners make good friends. But I guess there's something eerie about the life he lives.

His house is lonesome, and he rarely talks about his friends. He told me he gets abused, and that always makes me shift in my seat a little. I wouldn't say he's lying, because I'm starting to believe him more and more now. But I hate the way he treats Yu, like he's the problem.

It's kinda suspicious, in a way, how they never get along. Maybe I'm just thinking too much about this, but it's like they've met somewhere before... Like, in another lifetime.

I guess there's no point dwelling on it now. Everything with Giichi is finished. And, strangely, that feels like a weight being lifted from my chest.

~~~

Yu's POV:

Why did my dumbass have to say that? Why did I make him choose?

It's none of my business if he likes Miura. We are nothing but friends.

But why am I scared that he'll choose him over me? Would he?

I always thought I'd be his first choice, so it's not fair that I keep pushing and pushing him further away from me.

And why didn't he message me back? Is this seriously something he has to think about? Why does that piss me off so much? I'd choose him over anyone in a heartbeat. Am I losing importance to him?

"Don't be upset because of what you did."

I look around swiftly, and see that same boy from the other day sitting on a chair on the other side of the room.

"What the hell...?" I whisper. "How did you get in here?!"

"If you're so worried, why don't you take back what you said?"

He's ignoring my questions? Can he even hear me?

"It's too late for that," I mumble.

"You're afraid of showing remorse," he hums.

"What?"

"Mistakes are something people like you cease to make."

"Just go."

"You think of mistakes as a weakness, correct? What if he likes it when you admit that your wrong? That you put aside your ego for him."

"He doesn't care about that."