A showcase with @SarahQuinnMcGrath author of: Dark Heart

*I won first place in horror for the PIP awards*

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

The story was inspired by my interest in attempting a cosmic horror as well as a particular resort I attend during the summer (I've always thought the resort was a weird place).

2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

I didn't have too many struggles, but since I alternated chapters between the past and the present, I did have to make sure the timelines kept in pace with each other all the way through to the end. The ending in particular needed enough build-up in each timeline to make sure the stories' climaxes were at the same time. I didn't want any chapters to feel superfluous.

3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

I really enjoyed thinking of elements that could be creepy in a discomfiting way while not being overtly gory or horrific. I also enjoyed pulling in some stories that affected me as a child.

4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

Darkheart seems to be my best received so far; I think readers relate to a few of the characters and enjoy the pacing. I will say that only a few people have made it to the end, and I do so wish more would, so I could get more feedback about the overall work, but I appreciate all readers, and I do know it's a long book.

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

stand alone

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

 I would like my readers to first of all enjoy the read. Secondly, I do hope my readers come away from my works questioning a little more of the world; I think my goal in writing horror is to bring uncomfortable questions to readers' minds.

7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story?

I've been writing for a long time, and having experienced a whole range of emotions during my years of practicing this hobby, I can say the best thing to do is to write for yourself. I personally do not think of audience or what other people might want to read. I have to write the story as it comes to me, keep it true to itself; if I start thinking too much about readers, I lose my way. 

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

I have four main characters, and sure, they all reflect little bits of me, but as they're all rather disturbed people, I don't really want to talk about which bits of me they share ;)

9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

 I think a good mystery brings in a lot of people--something happened to these kids . . . WHAT WAS IT? You don't know until the end. I love to sprinkle breadcrumbs and build up all sorts of details that come together at some point. I also would hope that my characters are interesting and my writing style is easy to comprehend. 

10 do you have any future projects?

 I always have future projects! Since I wrote Darkheart, I've written another full novel and am now 30,000 words into another. I also am planning for the next, which will be written this fall or winter. I always have something in the works ;)