A showcase with @TheQueenofGremlins author of: Creature of creation

1 What inspired the idea of your story?

If I go all the way back to when I first began, I was about 12 or 13 years old and I watched 'X-men: The Last Stand' I was really enamored by this idea of mutants, especially winged mutants, and how society would react to them, how they would fit in ect. However, I thought it would be interesting to have 'mutant' characters that have no interest in being heroes or villains, or impacting societal change, but were interested in just existing. I noticed a lot of evil lab themed sci-fis don't delve very deeply into the trauma the characters experience from their time at the lab, the MC usually escapes and gets their revenge and so on. So I wanted to explore what it would look like to examine the character's trauma and how they would go about healing from it. 

2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

This one is tricky. I struggle mainly with getting it right and pinning it down. There's also a lot of scenes that are very uncomfortable emotionally to write. 

3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

The main thing I enjoy is the escapism and the ability to totally immerse myself in a world I've created. I also really like my characters and how they interact with each other, so it's been really fun spending time with them, crafting them and seeing what happens when I put them in different situations. 

4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

I think the overall response has been good. Most people that read and comment seem to enjoy it, which makes me very happy and grateful! Though due to the sensitive subject matter, I recognize the story isn't for everyone. 

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

It is a duology. I originally intended for it to be only one, but I felt there was still too much left to explore and decided to create a sequel. I also have such a hard time saying 'Good-bye' to my characters when a book is over. 

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

I really hope they have fun and come away still thinking about it, and the themes. There's a lot of different reality tunnels, so there's no central take away message other than I suppose, 'be careful about what or who you get obsessed with' 

7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story?

To tell the story to, and for themselves above anyone else. If you tell the story you've been longing to read, there's bound to be other people who have also been dying to have your story come along. 

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

Probably way more than I'd care to admit. I'm not physically similar to either of my MCs but when I crafted them, they both share very different and distinct aspects of my personality. 

9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

Though it follows a pair of escaped lab specimens, I think it's unique in that the core focuses less on the destruction of the lab, and more on the asexual relationship between the two MCs who are struggling to find their place in the 'real world' after everything they've been through together. It's set in Atlantic Canada, has shady genetic experimentation, a peppy bird-girl and an angsty bio weapon that can control her own blood. 

10 do you have any future projects?

Yes! Once the sequel is finished and I'm satisfied with edits to Creature of Creation I am going to work on a novel about a carnivorous space ship that has been infected by a mysterious fungus from another dimension.