26: Coming to Terms

I opened the door to Lenny's hospital room, "Hey sweet girl, how are ya feeling?" I asked her, sitting on the edge of her bed.

Unfortunately Lenny received the news that her father passed away as a result of dry-drowning. Her dad was her sole provider, it even broke my heart. Now I was anxiously awaiting the day the social worker would come get her. Luckily, it wouldn't be for awhile as she was still recovering.

"My heart feels broken Lissy." The young girl said as she wiped a tear from her face. "I'm so sorry Lenny, I brought someone special for you to meet though." I said as I stood up.

I waved Buck into the room. "This is Evan, my boyfriend and one of the firefighters that helped you." I told her. Buck walked over to her and sat on the chair next to her bed.

"Hey, between us, I think you're Alissa's favorite. She always talks about you." He whispered to the girl, making me smile. Lenny smiled slightly, "I hear about you a lot too, she really loves you."

The two talked for hours, there was no doubt that Buck loved kids. It made me realize what a great dad he is going to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buck unlocked the door to our apartment, the sight was always dreadful. Boxes of stuff for the baby were scattered around the house, I hated the way it looked.

"Can we please just put this shit in the baby's room? It's an eyesore." I complained to him for what was probably the thousandth time. I looked over at him, he shook his head.

"Babe I need to ask you something." He said, sitting on the couch. I followed his actions and sat next to him. "What's that?"

"Um, Lenny, is it possible for us to adopt her? I just feel so bad, she's so nice and I want her to have a loving home." He continued.

"Evan, I love her just as much, but really think about that. We don't have the room, especially not with our baby on the way." I said to him.

I can't lie, his question warmed my heart. I would love to bring Lenny home one day and give her a loving home. Everything happening in our lives just didn't match it.

"Let's foster her first? We can find a house that will have rooms for both of them." Buck said. "And a room for Brielle too." He added

He knew how to make my heart melt. "Okay okay, foster first, but she'll be in the hospital awhile." I told him.

"I will get us the best lawyer." He said going on his phone. I let out a small laugh. I began to think about the future.

I wanted to marry Buck, we'd been together not that long, but I was sure he was the one for me. I was excited about my pregnancy, I can't wait for us to find out the gender. Possibly bringing Lenny into our family. I want everything with Buck.

"What are you smiling about?" Buck asked. "Our future together." I said continuing to smile. "What's that like?" He asked me, putting all of his attention on me.

"You propose in the next 6 months. We get married a year later, exactly a year. Our baby is born, we take in Lenny. We get our own house together and Brielle comes home." I said, looking into his blue eyes.

"I hope our baby is just like you." Buck smiled. I raised my arms and stretched before laying down and resting my head on his lap.

"I'm gonna get in a nap before my shift." I yawned. Buck ran his fingers through my hair. He knew it calmed me and helped me relax. And that it will make me fall asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Working the night shift? That's unlike both of you." I said to Rylee and Dr.Adam as they walked out of the elevator. "Well Al, we just wanted to come keep you company." Rylee said clocking in on the computer.

Dr.Adam looked at me intensely. "Alissa are you pregnant?" He asked. "12 weeks, and I know I should get new scrubs." I told him while I grabbed my marker.

"Also I am going to be fostering Lenny, Evan already got us approved." I made sure to tell the two before it got around. "Shark bite? She's going to require a lot of care." Dr.Adam said. "Yes while she's in the hospital, recovery will be easy after discharge. Evan is going to take some time off once she comes home." I explained

"Now I'm going to go tell her before either of you do." I said before walking into Lenny's room.

"Hey sweet girl" I said sitting on the end of her bed. "Hi Lissy." She was groggy from a procedure she had earlier. "How are you feeling? Do you need anything?" I asked as I pulled up the blanket to check her leg.

"I'm okay, a little sad. I miss my dad." She said. "I know you do honey, but I have some good news. It won't help the hurt you feel, but it can give you something to look forward to." I said to her. "Your leg is healing well too."

"What's the news?" Her small voice asked. "Well Lenny, Evan and I are going to foster you. Once you're out of the hospital you'll come home with us." I smiled at her.

Her face lit up. She smiled and said, "Thank you so much Lissy. I'm excited to have you guys." I smiled at her words. "Do I have to call you guys mom and dad?" She asked, her face looked worried.

"No, not unless you want to okay? We know we could never replace your dad."

"Alissa we need you. Code blue." Rylee said quickly in the room. I got up and hurried over to the other room. It was a 16 year old boy, he'd been here awhile, but i didn't know why.

"Starting compressions, someone push epi." I said as I began to push against the boy's chest. "Pushing epi, prepping defibrillator." Rylee said, trying her best to do multiple things at once."

"Everyone clear." I backed away from the boy as Ry shocked him. His body jolted, but no pulse. "Resuming compressions." I continued, waiting for the next instruction. Luckily I didn't have to wait too long.

The boy's heart started again and his eyes opened slowly. "Good work girls. Go finish your rounds." Dr.Adam said to us.

"I love saving lives." I told Rylee as we walked off to our next rooms.