The Proposal

*8 months later*

Jennifer is in her room. Mark has arranged for the entire family to meet up for dinner. At one of the fanciest resturants in town.

Robert is downstairs with Nathan. Waiting for Lori and Jennifer to come down.

"Women. I swear they take years to get ready." said Robert checking his watch.

"Speak for yourself." retorts Nathan.

Robert cocks his eyebrow at him.

"What is that suppose to mean?" he asked.

"You took an hour for your hair." said Nathan.

"Hey, for a guy my age. It takes lots of product to keep it up."

"Whatever you say Zuko."

Robert frowns at Nathan. His son just chuckles away.

Lori comes downstairs. Her belly is showing underneath her black v-neck dress.

Robert takes her hand. Helping her down the stairs. He kissed her cheek gently.

"You look beautiful." he said.

"Thank you." she replys.

"Honey, do you have any idea on why we are doing this?"

"What do you mean?"

"This family dinner thing. Why do I have this feeling Mark is up to something?"

"You're over reacting. I think its just a simple family get together."

"I think its bullshit."

Lori smacks Robert on his shoulder. Glaring up him. He frowns back at her.

Jennifer comes down in a simple floral dress. Her wavy brown hair is down. Make up lightly down.

Lori felt as if she was looking in a mirror. Her daughter looks so much like her.

"Can we go now?!" snapped Nathan ruining the moment.

Jennifer rolled her eyes at him. She walks towards him. She yanked at his ear and twisted it.

"Ow, you..." he stops himself from saying the curse word.

Robert and Lori are still in the room. He just rubs his ear walking out the door.

Robert pulls up to the restaurant and parks the car. Lori held on to his arm as they walk toward the entrance.

The host escorts them to their table. Mark is already there waitng. Along with Lori and Robert's parents.

Shana flew in for the event. She plans to stay for the birth of Lori's baby. She brought along her son Tyler.

Everyone is greeting each other. Lori walks up to Tyler giving him a hug. He is the same age as the twins.

"Oh my God! You have grown so big. Not to mention tall." said Lori.

Tyler blushes to himself.

"It's good to see you too, Aunt Lori." he replied.

Every sits down at the table. Ordering their meals. Each of them.getting to know one another.

Sharing stories. It was peaceful. Once it was all settled down. Mark stands up. Tapping his glass with a spoon.

All eyes met his. Robert is already on the edge of his seat. Wondering what Mark is up to.

"I'm sure you all are wondering why we are here. I felt that its very important we were all here. Because I have a very special announcement." spoke Mark.

Robert leans over toward Lori's ear.

"Here we go." he whispers.

She glares at him. He just clinches his jaw.

"Most of you know that Jennifer and I have been dating for quite some time. I've grown to love her more than life itself. I can't see myself with any other person."

"Oh really?!" whispers Robert once more.

Lori pinches his arm. He just giggles to himself. Mark turns his attention to Jennifer. Taking her by the hand.

"Jennifer Ann Downey, I love with all my heart. Ever since the first moment we met. You're beautiful and smart. You mean the world to me. With out you in it. I can't go on."

Jennifer is in tears. Mark reaches into his suit jacket. Pulling out a tiny box. She covers her mouth in shock.

He gets down on one knee. Opening the box. Inside is a beautiful diamond ring. He smiles up at her.

"Jen? Will you marry me?" he proposes.

Jennifer wipes the tears from her eyes. Overwhelmed with excitement. She holds her left out to him.

"Yes. Yes, I will marry you!" she exclaims joyfully.

Mark places the ring on her finger. Wrapping his arms around her. He kissed her lips.

The family is cheering on the engagement. All happy faces except Robert. Who is upset.

He never thought his little girl is getting married. A lone tear ran down his cheek.

Robert stands up and walks out the room. He needed some fresh air. He is not ready to let Jennifer go.

Mark notices and followed behind. He places his hand on Robert's shoulder. He immediately backs away from Mark.

"Are you okay?" asked Mark.

"I just need a minute. Try to wrap my head around this whole thing." replied Robert.

"I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable."

"No, its okay. I'm just surprised."

"I know its unexpected. If you don't want us to get married. Then I'll understand."

"Mark, I'm okay with the engagement."

Jennifer comes out of the restaurant. She goes up to her father giving him a tight embrace.

Mark heads back into the restaurant. Giving them a moment to talk. Robert holds his daughter close.

Tears pour from his eyes. He feels both happy and sad. Jennifer backs away wiping the tears from her eyes.

"Daddy, please don't be upset. I love Mark so much." sighed Jennifer.

"Jen, I'm not upset. I'm happy for you. I'm only sad because I'm losing my little girl." adds Robert.

"I'm always going to be your little girl. You mean the whole world to me."

"I love you baby girl."

Robert hugs Jennifer once more. Deep down he knows Mark will love and care for her.

He still believes Mark is a good guy. Over the past few months they've really bonded.

Robert and Jennifer head back inside. He steps up to Mark bring him in for a tight embrace.

"Welcome to the family." said Robert.

Mark smiles at him. Lori hugs him as well. She leans against Robert who wraps his arms around her stomach.

Robert felt a slight kick on his hand. His growing baby boy is moving around inside Lori's stomach.

He smiled to himself. He couldn't wait to meet his boy. He is ready for more joy in the family.

No more sorrows. Just happiness. With out a doubt Robert will do all he can to maintain this joy in their lives. Nothing is going to stop it.

***I'm cooking up one last bit of suspense in order to keep the story going for another few chapters. Then its over. I do have one story that I'm making. Please continue to read "The Homeless Heart". Love you all. Vote and comment please. New update soon. Sorry if this chap. is boring.***