Start over

I'm in the middle of cooking dinner. Shana comes in taking a seat on the stool. She is flipping through a magazine. 

I turn around to clean a few plates in the sink. Shana smiled at me. I just give her an awkward gaze. 

"Why are you dressed so nicely?" asked Shana. 

"We have a guest coming over." I replied checking on the food. 

"Really? Who is it?" 

"Jennifer's teacher. His name is Mark." 

"Okay, Lori. Please tell me they are not dating?"

"I wish I could say no."

"Sounds like karma is hitting you both." 

"Robert doesn't know about Jennifer and Mark."

Shana gets up going over by the counter. She grabs the wooden knife holder. I furrow my eyebrows at her. 

"Uh, where the hell are you going with my knives?" I asked.

"I'm hiding them. Robert is going to fillet this guy." answered Shana. 

"You're such dork! Give me those!"

I take them from her placing that back. She laughs going over to sit down. 

"Is he cute?" she asked.

"Who is?" 

"Jennifer's boyfriend." 

"He's okay I guess. Not like Robert when I met him." 

"Nobody's like Principal Hottie." 

"Unfortunately, Nathan is dating someone you and I know." 

Shana looked at me confused. I walk over to the dining room and start setting the table. 

"Lori, you are scaring me. Who the hell is dating your son?" exclaimed Shana from in the kitchen. 

I go back into the kitchen shushing her. I check to make sure no one heard her. 

"Keep your voice and I will tell you." I snap. 

"Well?" 

"Ms. Gina." 

"Woah! Robert's ex-wife! But, she's in jail." 

"I know that. She received a ten year sentence. Because she took fucking plea." 

"Let me guess, Robert doesn't know about this one either." 

"I'm trying to handle one thing at a time." 

"Talk about a nightmare. I don't care I'm staying a little longer." 

I smiled at her shaking my head. Always nice to have my friend to support me. Shana is has my back no matter what. 

Robert arrives home from work. I greet him at the door. Giving him a peck on the lips. He smiled at me holding me close. 

"I love you, Lori." he said. 

"Love you, too. We have a guest coming over. So, go freshin' up." I reply. 

"Okay. By the way, I made reservations at your favorite restaurant. Get us a chance to have a nice date night."

"I can't wait." 

He gives me a finally kiss on the lips. I watch him run up the stairs. Jennifer comes downstairs in a beautiful pink dress. 

I stood there in an awe at how beautiful she look. He long curly hair was down. With two braids that wrapped around the side. 

I go up to her playing with strands of her hair. She smiled me smoothing down her dress.