Starting fresh,

A new year of college was approaching, it was finally time for Tony to move on from his addiction, to leave it in the past. He rarely attended therapy, but when he did it was usually for a reason. Bucky and Steve didn't ask, it wasn't their battle to fight after all. Though the couple did notice the lack of social events Tony attended, they weren't surprised when he refused to go to parties, but they grew alarmed when he refused to hang out with any whatsoever. But that's when the news came through about Stephan, and it destroyed Tony.

It turned out a few weeks after Stephan left the hospital he took off aboard, not sharing his location with anyone. It was definitely to do with his hands, he just said he knew what was best for him. Tony felt like screaming, he really cared for Stephan. He didn't know why he more upset that angry, he denied his feelings for the boy. It wasn't worth the suffering, even if Tony felt like his heart was going to burst if he didn't hear from the boy soon. For the next few weeks Steve and Bucky felt like they were talking to a brick wall.

The nightmares returned, more subtle than when he was younger but he no longer had anything to numb them or completely block them out. Tony would wake up covered in a cold sweat, his eyes filled with tears, gasping for air as he felt as if he were choking. The air seemed as if it were too thick to inhale, and after a few minutes of breaking down Bucky or Steve would rush in to comfort him, even then he struggled to come to his senses.

Though other than these torturous moments his life was gradually coming back to him, he worked on many projects that used to be a mere dream. He applied to workplaces hoping to receive a position, yet in all honestly he wasn't expecting anything. Not with his current grades.

Steve tried to get Tony involved in the gym, hoping he can find something to keep him entertained. But sport wasn't his source of happiness, it was definitely building. But there was only so much he could get his hands on, though it seemed as if he should enjoy the lack of building because when he turns 18 the whole Stark company will be handed to him, how he would take it was a mystery.

But one positive thing seemed to come to light in these months, an interview. A talkshow wanted to interview him, it was random due to the fact Tony hasn't seen the press for years. Maybe a couple photos of him online but nothing that actually took off, maybe, just maybe this could be his fresh start.

"Would it be stupid?" Tony asked, glancing up at his parents. His eyes were pleading, he didn't know whether this would age well.

"It's up to you kid, you'll be facing the press more when the company gets handed over to you. So maybe it would be a good experience?" Steve suggested, glancing at Bucky before meeting Tony's eyes. "If you choose to keep it, of course."

Tony's fingers lingered over the keys, he re-read the email over and over as if something would change. "You'd come with me, right?" He confirms.

"If you want us." Bucky assured him, trying to give his most supportive face.

Tony didn't respond, instead he started typing. His eyes stuck at the screen as if he were frozen, Tony's breathing hitched after a minute or so. He glanced over the top meeting his parents gaze. "Guess i have to pick an outfit." All they could do was appreciate Tony's maturity, nodding at him.

"We can go shopping if you like, kiddo." Steve offers, wrapping an arm around Bucky.

—-

When the night came Tony was beyond stressed, constantly untucking and tucking his shirt to see what looked more, 'I'm not about to cry'. Even if his shirt couldn't represent that.

"Bear, you're creasing it. Leave it untucked, what do they expect from a teenager?" Bucky chuckled, sitting up in the armchair. They had a small dressing room to wait in, But Tony was just glaring at himself in the mirror trying to find something they could make fun of him for. His olive skin which was collecting sweat, his fake brown eyes which were holding back tears. His dark thick hair which had been touched by too many people this evening, his shirt which was just too big.

"Can i do this?" Tony asked, spinning around with his nail in his mouth, chewing on it as he worried.

"Tony, you look handsome. You have a great sense of humour, and your Tony Stark. What are they going to do to you?" That got a small laugh that eased Tony, he let his head drop on Steve's shoulder as he groaned. "You'll be here for when i come back crying?"

"You won't cry, bear." Bucky smiled.

"You don't know that." Tony warned. A firm knock on the door alerted them. "Come in."

A young woman peaked out, "We need you now." She had a headset on, obviously listening to someone while she was talking by how quietly she was speaking.

"Okay, okay. Uhm." Tony paused, glancing back at his parents.

"Break a leg, kiddo." Steve smiled, "You'll do great."

"We'll be right here!" Bucky assured before Tony left.  The walk up seemed as if his life depended on it, different workers littered the ground.

"This is what will happen," A random man started talking to him, he was holding a clipboard and had a earpiece in. Much more modern than the previous worker. "You go sit in that chair, right there. You'll introduce yourself, you'll have a general talk. Then he'll go into asking you questions, then you say your goodbyes to the camera before we escort you off stage."

"Will there be people here?" Tony asked, it was the only thing on his mind.

"There is a live audience," A light above Tony's head went green. "That's your queue, break a leg kid." Tony took a deep breath before walking out, it wasn't what he expected, the crowd was much larger. Each seat occupied. He headed to the armchair left vacant, nodding and smiling and the crowd of people waiting for the clapping to quieten down.

"Good evening, Anthony." The interviewer grinned, shaking his hand.

"Tony, please." He responded, noticing the click of cameras from the audience.

"Tony then, how's it going? How's life?" The interviewer leant back in a casual manner.

"Life's, lifes good." Tony pretended to think about it for a moment, gaining a small smirk from the interviewer.

"What's occupying life?" The interviewer asked, "Making life good?"

Tony froze, this isn't one of the questions he practised the answer for.  "Well, er. Opportunities like this, and good people. Maybe a few hobbies."

"Bit of this, bit of that?" The interviewer responds.

"Bit of this, bit of that." Tony confirms, "I have to say, i never asked about your day."

"You didn't." The interviewer gasped in a sarcastic manner.  "My day is good, but i'm interviewing you here."

"My bad." Tony smiles giving him a nod.

"How old are you now?" He asks.

"I am a grand age of 16, feel it in my back every morning." Tony leans back in the armchair, trying to seem more casual.

"Wait till your 43, that's where life kicks you in the teeth." The man warned with a smirk, all Tony could do was nod acting as if he hadn't been through enough. "You haven't been on a talk show since you were 5, did you know?"

"If im honest i don't recall being on a talk show at all. " Tony furrows his eyebrows trying to recall any moment of a interview, but his father usually just made his stand beside him on the occasional red carpet.

The interview lasted for another 15 minutes, questions and jokes bounced back and forwards. The media going wild over Tony's appearance on the show, some girls falling head over heals and other people thinking he doesn't have enough relevance to be on the show in the first place. Though Tony was certain it would all go up from here.

(This story may be put on hold/finished at part 50. There may be a few stray chapters released but not the regular schedule, i'm working on a new book which will be much more organised, and including Tony. Thank you so much for the continuous support.<3)