what friends are for,

Tony had been out of contact with most of his friends, his phone was overloaded with texts from Rhodey and Stephan in particular worried for his general health. He knew he had to tell them what happened, sooner rather than later.

JR:man where are you, i
haven't heard from you in
forever.

TS:hey Rhodey

It took another minute for Rhodey to answer, but when he did it came in multiple notifications.

JR:SHIT MAN

JR:i thought u were dead

JR:where have you been Tony?

JR:you ever think of checking
in once in awhile?!

JR:why does Stephan know
more than me?!

TS:im sorry, I've had a lot
going on

TS:whatever u want to know
now is the time to ask

JR:Where have u been? Who
have you been with? What
happened? Why did u come
to speak to Stephan at like
midnight? Why haven't
you been on campus? Are
you ok?

TS:are you free rn? It would
be easier to talk in person.

JR:i can come round in the
next hour some time

Tony placed his phone done and starred at ceiling debating why he decided to ignore everyone, it's not as if he couldn't be bothered. He was well enough to go out every night, meet new people that were shit compared to his first proper friends. Rhodey or Stephen never asked for anything off him, they were always available for whatever stupid source of summer entertainment one of them found. Tony finally slid out of bed, not finding it in him to get dressed so he decided to remain in his pyjamas, it didn't bother him as he had slept round Rhodey's many times, visa versa. Tony practically dragged himself down the stairs, hissing at the sudden light beaming onto his face.

"He's awaken!" Steve cheers sarcastically, scuffing up Tony's hair as he walks passed him.

"Yeah, yeah. Can one of you warn mr when Rhodey gets here?" Tony asked, moving into the kitchen.

"Rhodeys coming round?" Bucky asked, planting a kiss on the top of Tony's hair.

"Yeah, haven't seen him in some time." Tony tried to give Bucky a smile but too much was going on in his head, for a genius he wasn't emotionally smart.

"Have some of that, it's a protein shake." Bucky said, gesturing towards the smoothie bellender which was half filled with a blended mixture.

"Okay," Tony responded, picking it up to pour in an glass. Shakes definitely weren't his go to, he preferred to grab some toast but in his sleep deprived state he couldn't be bothered to argue.

"Tony, he's here!" Bucky yelled, now sat on the sofa going through some letters.

" 'Kay!" Tony called, hurrying through the house to get to the door, he didn't attempt to make himself look more well kept in the mirror, he just swung open the door to give Rhodey his best smile possible.

"Tony." The man sighed, walking over with open arms. He pulled Tony in as they held each other in an embrace.

"You've gotten taller." Tony commented

"You still look like a pre-pubescent teenager." Rhodey smirked, pulling Tony into another hug. "You had me so worried."

"You have no reason to be worried, i'm always fine." Tony shrugged trying to dismiss his friends concern. "Come in." Steve and Bucky greeted Rhodey before he headed up to Tony's room, it was a mess to say the least. Maybe it looked worse because of how dark it was, but Rhodey didn't dare make a comment
on it. He sat down on the bed beside Tony.

"I'm worried about you." was the first thing Rhodey said.

"Why? i'm okay." Tony smiled slightly, feeling the severity of the conversation .

"Where have you been for the last few months?" Rhodey asked, staring at Tony. Somehow in the lack of light it made Tony look younger, his doe eyes being the most noticeable thing.

"Living every teenagers dream, partying and shits." Tony sighed shakily. "College is easy, i'm not worried so you shouldn't be."

"Tony have you been buying?"

"It's not a big dea-"

"It is a big deal, stop acting like your not wasting your life away." He practically snarled.

"If you're coming here to attack me you can leave again, i've been attacked enough." Tony sighed, looking down at the floor.

"I don't.. Tony. I don't mean to attack you."

"I've done therapy, i mean, I've done a session of therapy. Don't like it, don't think anyone actually likes therapy. But there's a decent guy there, i'm going to go back." Tony ranted.

"See. Thats good." The older boy smiled.

"Exactly, i dont need to be told what's good or bad. I know i've fucked up."

"Okay, im sorry." Rhodey apologised.

"Why do you even care so much?" Tony asked out of curiosity, James almost looked taken aback by Tony's ignorant question.

"What do you mean?" The boy practically cried out.

"I don't know why you're so concerned."

"Tony, i'm your friend. I've been your friend since you were 12, you were some beat up kid that didn't seem so bad, we hung out till we were like 14 almost every day. Ofcourse i care." Rhodey said in an defensive tone.

"We haven't been in close contact for the last, what? Almost 2 years?"

"So what? I don't stop caring like that." Rhodey clicked his fingers. "For an genius you're a proper idiot." There was a moment of silence which made Rhodey debate if what he said was a good idea.

"Thank you." Tony slightly smiled, there was no point fighting, rhodey seemed persistent enough.

"It's what friends are for."