The papers,

It was late, stupid late. Even Bucky was aware of that. He was slouched over the kitchen table running his fingers along the words of the page, it was the papers that confirmed he was responsible for Tony, it also happened to be the papers which you could look to change guardianship, or your role in the child's life, as well as returning the child.

"Buck?" Steve sighed, his body relying on the doorway and he stared at his husband.

"Sorry, im just.. looking at this." James shrugged, running his fingers through his own hair.

"And what would "this", be?" The blond haired man pushed himself off the doorway and walked round the table to Bucky.

"I should of.. i know i should of asked you before looking into it more. I love him Steve, i do.." Bucky mumbled, feeling as if he had be treated his partner.

"Hey.. yeah okay maybe you should of told me. But we'll talk 'bout it in the morning." Steve kissed the top of Bucky's head, reaching for his hand to lead him up the stairs.

The two had slept in, it was well deserved. The morning sun coated their bed, causing Steve to eventually wake up, he rolled over to his husband comfortably cushioned against his side which forcefully placed a smile on his face. Bucky groaned a bit before stretching out like a cat and staring up at Steve.

"Mornin'." He chuckled, wiping his eyes with his fingertips.

"Morning.." Steve replied in a husky voice. He planted a soft kiss on Bucky's temple, receiving peppered kisses over his chest, then a couple deeper marks. "James..James. Come on.. Tony could break through the door at any moment.." Steve laughed gently, swiping Bucky's dangling hair behind his ear.

"Yeah, yeah. Let's get up, hm?"

It took a couple minutes, though the couple dragged themselves out of bed and wandered down the hallway slowly, their limbs aching more with every step. 

"You think he's still in bed?" Steve whispered, sliding a arm around his husbands waist.

"Nah.. probably in front of the TV." Bucky smiled, pressing a final kiss against Steve's cheek. Though to their surprise Tony wasn't in the living room. They exchanged glances before heading into the kitchen to find the boy frozen at the other end of the dining table, he was still in his pyjamas staring at the paper on the table.

"Morning champ, you okay?" Bucky questioned, not being able to read Tony's expression.

"You lied." Tony whispered crossing his arms over his chest.

"Buddy?" Steve stepped forward, just for Tony to step further away.

"You fucking lied!" Tony yelled, tipping his head up revealing watery eyes, as well as his flushed cheeks.

"Okay, there's no need to raise your voice or use that language!" Steve snapped, making Tony flinch dramatically. They've never found a reason to yell at Tony before, he was a good kid.

"Steve, let him." Bucky added softly, pulling Steve back. "What have we done?"

"Don't play stupid.." Tony was on the verge of sobbing.

"Tony, i won't know unless you tell me." Bucky attempted to comfort him, though was aware he came off more aggressive.

"Your no different, you're not going to keep me safe, you don't care, you don't want me here." The boy started biting at his nails anxiously.

"Wh-"

"Fucking hell! You have the paper, you have to read it before returning a kid! It's the fucking conditions!! I don't know what i've done! Is that your stupid escape route? Seeing how long it would take to return me?" Bucky tried to approach him. "No! Don't you dare! Stay as far, as far away from me as you can!"

"To-"

"Don't fucking- i trusted you! I wanted to stay here!!" Tony was yelling, now backed agsisnt the wall.

"Li-"

"I hate you!" He screamed in a fit of tears, it was obvious it was an anxiety attack when they noticed how he was shaking.

"Hey!" Steve snapped.

"What? Your going to send me back anyw-"

"I was looking into adoption!" Bucky yelled, his head resting in his palm. Tony fell silent, his stomach twisting in a guilty way. "I love you here Tony. You complete the family."

A moment of silence lasted.

"Oh.." The boy uttered, staring at the floor.

"I was checking the adoption process. Steve and i were going to discuss it this morning." James walked over to Tony who just starred at him. "So, are we going to sit down and talk about this or sulk?"

"Sit down." Tony answered with an ill expression. They led him to the living room, letting him sit between them.

"So.. about that little outburst. You don't usually loose your temper like that." Steve let tony rest his head on his shoulder.

"Only when someone's hurting me." Tony muttered, he knew he had to warm up to them at some point, they more than likely already knew about his past.

"Was it like that in your previous homes?" Steve massages Tony's hand to stop him from biting his nails.

"Yeah. I don't like getting lied to, or accused. I hate being punished for something i didn't do.. I have a scar on my back from the belt, i didn't even draw on the walls." The boy seemed to stiffen up at mentioning the punishment. "It's not like that here though.. i haven't been scared, like scared of getting hurt since i got here."

"So your liking it here?" Bucky wanted to confirm before they continue.

"Love it." Tony turned to look at him with a sad smile.

"So.. you'd be happy for us to look into the adoption process?" Bucky places a hand on Tony's knee.

"Your serious?"

"Course." Steve tunes in.

"I'd.. yeah i'd love to. Please." Tony's dampened mood quickly changed to a more excited one, it's as if he didn't know where to look as his vision spun from Bucky to Steve.

"I'll have to send an email to your social worker, she'll probably want a meeting with you before we can sign any documents." Bucky warned, not knowing how long it would take.

"I.. i'm sorry. i'm really sorry.. for, well, that. But. Thank you." Once again, tears sprung to Tony's eyes as he pounced onto Bucky to hug him. James couldn't help but laugh, it wasn't a comedic laugh.
More of a calmed one. Steve opened his arms, clearing his throat loudly. Tony threw himself back to Steve squeezing him as hard as he squeezed Bucky.

This had to be his forever home.