Broken Down,

Tony's head was rested on the window, the bumpy car journey was the only thing keeping him awake. It was a late evening and they were returning from the hospital where Tony had gotten a checkup to see if his heart was functioning properly, which it seemed to be preforming the best it had in a long time. It was late, and rain hammered against the windows causing it to be cold, well, freezing in other words. The three just wanted to get back home before it started thundering. A sound that resembled metal clanking alerted all of them.

"Shit, what was that?" Bucky scrambled to sit up in his seat, glancing at Steve who was driving.

"Language," Steve responded at impulse, "It's probably the engine. We're going to have to pull over." Tony groaned, letting his head fall back against the seat. He just wanted to go home, his energy was dropping rapidly. "I'm sorry bud, let's hope its nothin'." He reached to open the door before Tony interrupted.

"Can I take a look? Please, My dad owned a lot of cars, I know the basics!" His seatbelt was already off, as he tried to shake off his exhaustion.

"Look, you'll freeze. Its chucking it down." Bucky glanced back round, giving the boy a confused look, who would want to stand in the rain?

"It'll only take a second!! Even if I can just hold the torch. I don't need to be babied, i'm 12." Tony announced, leaning forward closer to Bucky in a pleading matter.

"Okay, okay. Fine. But if I see one slight shiver out of you, you're back in, deal?" Jame's voice grew firmer, raising a eyebrow at the small brunet.

"Deal!" Tony practically jumped, he ran out of the car before Steve could open the door. Bucky handed him a torch from the glovebox (which seemed to be Mary Poppins bag with all thr junk they had stored inside), while Steve pressed the button to open the trunk. It took a moment before Steve was outside with Tony, their hair pressed flat against their foreheads with water dribbling over their eyes making it difficult to make out anything. Their clothes stuck to their skin, and sounds muted by the rain.

"You see the issue, mechanic Tony?" Steve joked, seeing Tony on his tiptoes trying to get a good look while the hood was barely open.

"Can the headlights turn on?" He looked up, though quickly looked down again to keep the heavy raindrops from hitting his eyes.

"Buck! Headlights?!" Steve called out, making Tony jump a little, he didn't usually get startled anymore.

"Not working! The ignition ain't responding either!" Bucky called back, though was more muffled than Steve's yell.

"Batteries dead." Tony responded with a shrug. "You'll have to call out somebody, we can't do it."

"Are you certain?" Steve raised an eyebrow, he was sure it would take a little more than just that to figure out the issue.

"Yep." He nodded putting some emphasis on the P, walking round the side of the car and climbing back into the backseat. "Nothin' interesting." He huffed.

"What do you mean by that?" Bucky chuckled, taking his seat belt off and climbing in the back with him.

"Dead battery, nothing much we can do without the equipment." Tony placed his soaked head on Bucky's shoulder, making the man cringe at the wet fabric but brushing it off a few seconds later. Steve got back in the front seat, reaching for his phone to call for help.

"Where are we?" Bucky asked, wrapping a arm around Tony when he started shaking.

"Not really sure, i'll check on maps then call insurance."

——

It was only a 10 minute phone call, the two in the back remained silent, Bucky slid off his hoodie and tried to place it over Tony who silently refused not wanting Bucky to be cold, though it didn't take much effort for Bucky to place it over his head. The boy drowned in the clothing, though quickly warmed up and huddled against the man.

"Right, They're saying they're going to try get someone here in the next hour." Steve sighed, glancing back at the two. Feeling a little envious at the contact they were having.

"We can last an hour," Bucky smiled gently, his eyes starting to droop again.

"Enough room for another back there?" Steve received a nod and not so elegantly climbed into the back, Tony was between them in the middle seat. Though he didn't seem to mind, he just wanted to steal their body warm.

"Fallin' asleep there?" Steve teased, glancing at the brunets who both had an equal amount of exhaustion printed on their faces.

"Nah.." Tony managed to sigh, though he didn't open his eyes.

"I'm alright." Bucky gave a weak smile, placing his head on the headrest. Steve stretched out his arm above the seats, Bucky holding his hand securely. "You think their actually going to take an hour?"

"Closer to 2." The blonde admitted, he knew the estimated times were false hope.

"When they get here tell them they can shove that time.." He yawned, his eyes squeezing shut. "Up their ass.." Tony's body relaxed again, slumping against the seat.

"Language." Steve grumbled, massaging his nose bridge in response trying to fight off the incoming headache from the loud rain.

"Will do Tony." Bucky laughed, more than likely using up the rest of his energy.

"Don't encourage this behaviour.." Steve couldn't help but smile, although his voice didn't match his expression.

"I'm a grown man.." He grunted with a playful grin.

"Sureee. Who pays most the bills?" The blonde smirked, gently massaging his lovers hand with his thumb.

"Who had to hold your hand at Coney Island?" Bucky smirked, even causing Tony to giggle quietly.

Even in the worst of situations, Tony found that he felt at home with his foster parents, although he was stuck in a car, in the middle of nowhere, with no generated heat.