4 Years,

Tony was 16, Steve and Bucky still found it hard to believe. The small 12 year old they welcomed into their home was now coming up to being a man, Tony's overall attitude hadn't changed with them. It was just the overall bond, they had a distance of some sort. It went from teaching Tony how to shave to teaching him how to drive, Tony was even in college now. Though there was one thing Bucky would never admit, and that was how much he wished Tony was still his young self. The one who would hug Bucky when he opened the door, or the one who would have sick days where he would use him as a pillow. Where did that little boy go?

Tony was out with friends, they never asked what they did. They trusted him, they knew about his close friends, like Stephan, Rhodey, who he didn't seem to hang out with as much anymore. But there were other friends like Clint and Happy. Steve decided now would be a good time to clean Tony's mess of a room, he'd never been organised. But this was the worst Steve had ever seen it, clothes on the floor, computer lost within his duvet, the closet being half library. It simply wasn't working. Steve started with the clothes, folding them nicely and stacking them on top of eachother, then the bedding, he started taking off the sheets when he noticed the mattress was raised in one corner, and even after pushing it down a few times it didn't fall. He lifted to mattress expecting to see an old pair of boxers but instead a packet, a packet containing multiple self rolled cigarettes.

"Buck! James!" Steve yelled, picking up the packet by the corner. The urgency of Steve's voice led to Bucky running in and being slightly confused, until he laid eyes on the sealed packet.

"Oh." He responded, walking over. It wasn't one or two cigarettes, the bag was filled. It would of costed hundreds to make, Tony was wasting his money on drugs his heart couldn't handle. "Why would he?" Bucky mumbled, staring at the contents. Why would their helpless little boy be drugging himself up?

"I found it under the mattress." Steve said softly, suddenly feeling a lack of motivation to clean his room.

"He wouldn't." Bucky snapped crossing his arms in defence of the boy.

"He has, obviously." Steve responded, frowning at his husbands childishness response.

"Tony wouldn't do that, Tony hates drugs. He really fucking hates them Steve, his past foster homes.." Bucky dug his finger nails into his mouth starting to bite on them, Steve quickly wrapped an arm around his husband pressing a kiss against his temple.

—-

It was only that night they realised how late Tony actually got home, way past study group hours. Even Tony was surprised to see the two waiting for him on the sofa.

"Whatever it is i didn't do it." He said quickly, trying to make his way for the stairs to escape whatever lecture they had prepared.

"Sit down, Tony." Steve ordered, pointing at the armchair. Tony dropped his backpack at the stairs and walked over, slumping down into the chair.

"What?"

"This is what." Steve placed the bag on the table and watched Tony's skin go pale, his eyes widened as he starred at the bag.

"Where did you find that?" Tony asked frowning.

"You know where." Steve responded, glancing at his anxious husband.

"Why they hell are you snooping around in my room?!" Tony yelled. "You talk about fucking privacy!"

"Why the fuck are you taking drugs?" Bucky asked, his voice being much softer that Tony's, he just starred at him in disappointment. A look Tony wasn't ready to ever see, it was a moment he wished he could curl in their laps and apologise.

"Can i just say i won't do it again and leave?" Tony asked, staring at Steve with hopeless eyes.

"No, answer your father." The blonde responded, placing an arm over the other man's shoulders.

"I don't know, everyone takes a little something in their life." Tony tried to shrug though his body seemed stiff.

"Are you drunk?" Steve asks, noticing Tony slur on a word.

"Oh fuck off! You always think the worst of me!" Tony snaps in a sudden sense of anger. "I'm trying so leave me alone!"

"Did we do something? Is that what your saying?" Bucky sighed, placing his palm over his mouth. "Because i'll.. i'll make it up to you."

"No- no." He almost whined in guilt. "Stop, no."

"Then what it this? Free accommodation?" Steve butted in.

"Leave me alone." The teenager repeated.

"How long have you been smoking?"

"A year maybe." Tony admitted, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Why?" Bucky asks, his eyes dulled with denial.

"It helps."

"With what?"

"I'm not, well scared. I feel like i can breathe." The teenager stares at both of his parents which look as if they were sick of him, And at that moment. Tony believed he belonged in hell.