40

Life was peaceful.

But everyone knew there would be an end to that peace, as the issue of Renesmee's growth was rapidly increasing. It had been six months since her birth, and she was definitely not the size of a six-month-old baby.

They all worried that the child would have a human life span, only sped up to fit into a number of years. It only made each moment more precious than the last.

One day, the Cullens were relaxing in the living room. Bella and Jacob were away with Renesmee, Aimee and Jasper were cuddled up together, Aimee reading a book and Jasper playing with her hair.

Until Bella walked in, looking confused but anxious.

"Did anyone know Irina would be coming?" She instantly questioned, and everyone shrugged. Carlisle grabbed the phone and dialed a number, walking out of the room.

"Why? What happened?" Aimee asked, marking her page number and placing the book down.

"We were catching snowflakes, and Irina was in the distance. She ran away before I could talk to her." Bella explained, standing by the piano. Edward beckoned Renesmee to sit on the stool with him.

"Strange." Rosalie frowned, exchanging glances with Emmett.

"She must have been here for a reason." Jasper murmured, still playing with Aimee's hair.

"Whatever reason, I'm sure we can talk to her about it." Esme reassured, and everyone nodded. Soon, Carlisle walked back into the room, the phone still in his hand. He took a seat by Esme.

"Tanya convinced Irina to come reconcile with us. " Carlisle began.

Edward frowned in confusion, "Looks like she changed her mind. Seeing Jacob must have been too much for her."

"Wish I could have just spoken to her." Bella shook her head, seeming disappointed.

Carlisle settled back with a smile and put his arm around Esme, "She's family, she'll come around."

Everyone went back to what they were doing, Aimee picked up her book, leant on Jasper's shoulder and read. The delicate sounds of piano filled the room as Edward played it with his daughter.

A few days later, they were yet again in the living room. Carlisle and Esme played chess, but the rest of them watched, were mesmerised, by Renesmee playing the piano by herself. Aimee's back rested against Jasper's chest, his arms wrapped around her middle, with his chin resting on her shoulder.

Aimee smiled at the sight, and then grinned as Alice walked in with a vase of flowers. But she suddenly gasped as her eyes emptied. The vase smashed on the floor, water spilling everywhere.

Everyone stopped.

Alice looked at everyone in shock, and Robbie sped towards her, holding her wasit, "What is it, Alice?"

She looked at him before turning to everyone else, "The Volturi. They're coming for us," Everyone stood up and disbelief filled their faces, "Aro, Caius, Marcus, the Guard. And Irina."

"Why?" Carlisle asked, his features set in sadness.

"What did Irina see in the woods?" Edward asked Bella and Jacob.

"We were just walking."

"Ness was catching snowflakes." Jacob added.

"Of course," Edward whispered, "Irina thinks Renesmee's an Immortal Child."

"It may sound quite obvious what it is, but... what is that?" Aimee asked.

"The Immortal Children," Carlisle explained, "were very beautiful. So enchanting, that to be near them was to love them. But their development was frozen at the age they were turned. They couldn't be taught or restrained, a single tantrum could destroy a whole village. Human heard of the devastation, the Volturi had to intervene. Since the children couldn't protect our secret, they had to be destroyed."

"But they're children." Aimee said, horrified, and Esme nodded her agreement.

"Their creators grew very attached and fought to protect them." Carlisle continued.

"So the Denalis' mother made and Immortal Child?" Bella asked, and he nodded.

"She paid the price." He said gravely.

"Renesmee is nothing like those children, she was born not bitten, she grows stronger every day." Bella argued.

"Can't you just explain that to the Volturi?" Jacob asked.

"Aro has enough proof in Irina's thoughts." Edward answered, and everyone looked downcast, Jacob shook his head.

"So we fight." He said, but Jasper shook his head.

"Their offensive weapons are too powerful, no one could stand against Jane." Jasper replied, and Aimee nodded.

"Alec's even worse." She added, and Jasper tried to hide his rage-filled gaze.

"We need to convince them." Bella argued, her voice shaking.

"They're coming to kill us, not to talk." Emmett answered, his hands in his pockets.

"They won't listen to us, but maybe we could convince other people. Carlisle, you have friends all over the world." Edward beseeched, looking towards the blonde vampire.

"I won't ask them to fight." He answered, shaking his head.

"Not fight. Witness" Edward spoke back, and Aimee nodded.

"If enough people believed and knew the truth, perhaps the Volturi could be convinced to listen." She said, and instantly hope lit up for the Cullens.

Esme placed her hand on Carlisle's arm, "We can ask this of our friends." Carlisle gently took her hand and nodded.

*

The next day, Carlisle and Esme were packing to travel to London. 

"At least we get to go to London again, we haven't been in a long time." Esme smiled, and Carlisle returned her smile.

Jacob started saying something, until he stopped and was staring out the window. 

"What's wrong?" Aimee asked, and they all went outside to find Paul with a note. 

They all read it, and Aimee felt pain at what it said. Alice had left along with Robbie, with no reason why, just a warning. 

"They've left us." Carlisle explained, his voice dull and upset. 

"Why?" Rosalie demanded.

"She didn't say." Carlisle looked dejected. Bella took the note, and Aimee looked up at Jasper, her eyes filled with tears that would never fall. 

He silently took her in his arms and held her tightly. 

Soon after that, everyone had left to gather witnesses.