43

The first snow would arrive soon, it would not be long until the Volturi had come to claim the Cullen's lives, and those who had decided to join them in their plea. It had been a week since Bella was focusing on her shielding power, and now they were waiting for the battle.

Everyone was silent as they stared into the roaring fire, colours of orange and red glimmering in the dark; a beacon of hope. Bella had taken Renesmee into their tent to sleep, whilst everyone stayed around the fire, sharing their tales of glory from the past.

Jasper had his arm wrapped around Aimee, keeping her close as he stayed silent, listening to the others with only half of his attention. He kept staring at Aimee in sorrow.

She turned to face him and saw desperation in his eyes.

"What's wrong?" She whispered, and Jasper shook his head, and she guessed he didn't want to say anything in front of their friends. She took him by the hand and stood up, smiling at the rest of the vampires as she led him away into the forest, the others talking quietly amongst themselves.

Once she deemed they were a good distance away, she sat on the low branch of a tree, "Tell me what's on your mind." She said, resting her head on his shoulder as he settled next to her.

"I don't think we're going to survive this," he murmured, "and if it gets bad, I need to know that you'll run, and get away as far as you can." He pleaded, his golden eyes boring into hers.

Aimee frowned and sat up straight, "Jaz, I won't do that. I'm sorry, but I won't leave you and our family." She replied, holding his hand tightly.

"Bella has a plan for-"

But Aimee interrupted him.

"I know. But if you think I'd leave you when things get bad, then people will think I'm a very bad mate, and I have a reputation to keep." She smiled softly, and Jasper tried to smile in return.

Jasper rested his forehead on hers, closing his eyes, "I love you, and I'm glad I found you." He whispered, kissing her lips.

Aimee kissed him back gently, and when they pulled apart, she whispered against his lips, "I love you, too."

They stayed sitting on the tree branch for a while until dawn had broken, and the snow had started to fall.

Jasper stiffened as he watched it blanket the forest floor slowly but surely, and he held her tighter. Aimee closed her eyes and silently pleaded that everything would be alright.

They heard the others start getting ready, and they slipped away from the tree, and walked back to their camp hand in hand.

The Volturi would soon be here.