Chapter Twenty-Three: This Is A Long Ride

THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY
fraught || five hargreeves x reader

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: THIS IS A LONG RIDE

Written By: peachyhxlland

°•.☆.•°

As you came out of the trailer, Five was waiting for you on the bike. He turned around to see you. Five noticed the red and puffy eyes you had from crying in the forest earlier. "You ready to come home?" He asked.

You nodded quietly and sat behind him with your arms around his torso with your head resting on his back. You and Five had already said your goodbyes to Pogo and Tammy earlier, so the two of you left.

The trip was silent. While you were gazing out into nowhere, Five had his eyes fixed on the road. You were too drained. Too numb to feel anything. After having a breakdown in the forest, you hated yourself for all that had transpired in your life. You blamed yourself for what happened to your loved ones and close friends.

"You're gonna have to talk to me eventually, (Y/n)." Five spoke up. "This is a long ride."

"Nico's dead." Five almost hit the bike's brakes as a result of what you blurted out. As he continued to drive, he cleared his throat. "How did you know?" He asked.

"Visited his home a few days ago. I visited the cemetery and saw his tombstone." You didn't show any emotion in your response. "A new lady was living in his house. She was kind and gave me his stuff."

Five sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Then my mother died before I was even born." You continued. "And then Jeanie died."

Five blinked his eyes in confusion. "Wait, Jeanie died?"

"It's a long story." You mumbled. "But maybe I'm partly to blame for her death."

Five couldn't handle it anymore, so he pulled over to the side of the road and parked the bike. You kept seated as he got off the bike. Five took a position in front of you, his hands surrounding you from both sides. "Look at me."

Five observed your lack of reaction as you turned to face him. It was as if he was talking to an empty shell of a person. This wasn't the (Y/n) he knows and loves. And it crushed him seeing you like this. His gloomy stare caught your attention. "This is exactly why I don't want to tell you, Five." You said. "I don't want you worrying about me or... or even prioritizing me. I'm fine—"

Five kissed you in the middle of your sentence to cut you off from continuing. He backed away while shaking his head. "I don't care if I end up stressing about you."

You frowned. "Five..."

"(Y/n), other than any damn apocalypses out there to stop and save the family, you have always been my priority." Five stated. "I will always worry about you even if you're safe. You're that important to me, darling."

He caressed your cheek and you leaned towards his touch. "I'm sorry if I wasn't there to help you deal with your pain. I should've noticed immediately—"

You shook your head as you grabbed Five's hands. "No, I pushed you away." You interrupted. "It's my fault, I'm sorry. Instead of opening up, I didn't say anything while you were there showing that you're here for me. No, I wasn't blind... I was..."

Five sighed. "Prioritizing others first before yourself." He finished. "Not anymore, (Y/n). We all have problems, okay? But that doesn't mean you have to deal with your problems by yourself. You're here for me, and I will be here for you."