34. 26

it's an extra long one today!
Happy qualifying (hopefully lol)
🙂❤️❤️

"Happy birthday!" Dad cheers as I make my way through the kitchen, glass of orange juice in hand. It's the third time he's said to the words to me today, insisting on sharing them at each and every opportunity. I only smile graciously thanking him as I join mum at the kitchen table. Daniel is on his way and I'm buzzing with excitement to see him.

"I can't believe you're twenty six now." Mum says wistfully. As if watching a replay of my life through her eyes. I cringe a little at the expression on her face as I sip from the cup in front of me checking on my phone. It's 10.30. Daniel said he'd pick me up now.

"And less independent than I was at 24." I add jokingly getting an eye roll from Mum. My words were a joke but true, she hates most reminders of my misadventures at work. At twenty four I was moved out in a flat of my own (shared with Lill) and working full time in London. It seems like a lifetime ago now. "What do you think?" I ask gesturing to the new earrings they had gifted me with this morning. It's a convenient change of subject. The three diamonds on each piece were fixed onto a white gold stud which I'd carefully clipped into my ears.

"Beautiful!" Mum cheers looking proud that I love their present in turn making me grin. I thank her again for the gift as she smiles in pride. "Who's coming tomorrow?" She asks and I try my best not to flush as she raises an eyebrow. My birthday meal with family is taking place tomorrow, on Friday, as opposed to today. It was easier to organise with work schedules, travel and everything else. I know Mum is fishing for information about Daniel. I've never told her a thing but I'm sure she knows there's something going on.

"Just us, plus Lill and Daniel." I reply. The 'just us' makes it sound like nobody will be there. By contrast there'll actually be a fairly large group of eleven of us. Lilly has joined for the last five birthday meals and now Daniel is the newest addition (after Mila and Luisa, of course).

"And you're going with Daniel today?" Dad asks taking a sip from the coffee cup in his hands. He's working from home today, so I'm lucky enough to see him for more than ten minutes. I try to ignore the way this seems to have turned into an interrogation all of a sudden and instead shrug lightly, taking a sip of my juice.

"Yeah, I'm not sure what we're doing." I admit. Daniel had only instructed me to dress in 'comfortable' clothes when I asked yesterday, 'trainers only, no heels' was my only firm clue. It had only made me more confused. "He should be here any minute, so hopefully I'll find out soon." I add thoughtfully checking my phone. Dad sends a look with raised eyebrows to Mum who just waves him off. Dad seems to huff to himself before waving bye as he returns to his home office.

"So what's with Daniel..." mum's voice begins slowly.

"Mum!" I groan, my face twisting a little as I shake my head.

"I was just going to..." she shrugs, trailing off her words, looking coy and innocent. There wasn't anything innocent about what she was going to ask. A small sigh leaves me and I resist the urge to dramatically roll my eyes or massage at my temples. Instead, I chew on the inside of my lip as I think over my next words carefully.

"Look, I don't want to lie to you. So it's best I just don't reply at all." I say honestly as my phone buzzes on the table between us.

"Does Lando know about this?" Is all Mum asks, her eyes still assessing. My lack of reply is all she needs to know. My eyes are too fixed on the screen of my phone, Daniel's name is on the screen with a message reading 'here x'. She's only smirking at my reaction. Maybe she doesn't need to ask me anything, she can read me like a book.