32. Date

Silverstone passed in a blur.

I cried on the sofa at home when Carlos crossed the line in 1st. The last fifteen laps had me perched on the edge of my seat, chewing at my lip and yelling at the TV willing the Ferraris over the line. I so wish I could've been there to hug and congratulate Carlos (and everyone else at that), my body just had other ideas.

Lill FaceTimed me from the podium celebrations for me to watch as I sniffled to myself, cheering into the speaker of my phone. He was so proud of himself! Everyone was so proud of him too. I can't even imagine how he must've felt, all of his hard work finally evidenced with his very own first place trophy.

Selfishly, I'm just glad it wasn't Lando, for the first time, if he ended up on the podium I would've killed him! Imagine if I missed it?! I'd never forgive myself (and my immune system).

I eventually stopped throwing up on Sunday afternoon, and by Monday I was able to keep down small amounts of food. By yesterday I even ate a small meal or two. It's Wednesday morning now and we're travelling to Austria later today before dinner and I'm beginning to feel a lot more human. I'm even wearing actual clothes, denim shorts and a slightly washed-out concert tshirt on my body instead of jogger bottoms or pyjama tops.

"I'm having a birthday dinner." I announce and Daniel nods his head in interest. We're sat in the garden of my parents house on a wide swing chair which sways softly in the gentle British breeze. Everyone is out - including Lando, who's been staying here after the race weekend. Meaning that we're free to be sat snuggled together, away from curious eyes teasing looks or fear of causing any disagreements.

Daniel ventured up from his London apartment this morning having dropped his parents off at the airport first thing. Lando commented how his appearance was odd since we were flying from London, but Daniel instead proposed that he'd give us each a lift to the airport.

We've spent the day together lazing in the sun and laughing together as Daniel encouraged me to take small nibbles of food and drinks of water. He made me food (as he had for most of the weekend) and I ate it slowly, each time managing slightly bigger portions.

"With family and things..." I trail off, my fingers tangling and untangling. "It's next Friday - I'd love it if you came." I add chewing nervously on my lower lip. In my head inviting him hadn't felt like such a big deal. Maybe it was. The only other non-family member attending was Lilly (and Luisa if you want to cross that complicated bridge).

"You really want my beautiful face there?" Daniel asks, a bright smile on his face. I find the nerves that were previously swirling around me washed away. Any doubt gone with the reaction as I mirror his expression, eyes bright, smile wide.

"If I could, I'd only have your beautiful face there." I grin fighting a laugh, as I reach to poke at the soft skin of his cheek. Daniel chuckles to himself quietly and wraps his arms around me pulling me into his firm body. I make a small hum of appreciation in the action. Daniel always says these kinds of things a in a self depreciating way - I always mean it. I think he's the best looking person in most rooms.

"Yeah, sounds good." Daniel agrees and I smile in relief. I've been meaning to ask him for weeks, usually I'm a birthday week kinda girl. This year is no different. "Your birthday is Thursday, right?" He asks and I nod.

"What if we also had a birthday dinner, just you and me?" He asks and I open my mouth surprised by his words. Honestly, it wasn't what I was expecting from him. Not in this moment. "Like a date?" He finishes for me, not leaving me sat wondering if it is or isn't, a casual shrug rolling from his shoulders.

This is a much bigger deal than he's pretending it is, isn't it?

I know it is.

His eyes have started flicking around quickly and he itches at his beard with his fingers quickly, a nervous tick of his. I'm fighting a grin the best I can, instead a small smirk just inches it's way into my face as I try to keep calm.