12. Imola

I wasn't going to post until tomorrow but I got too excited 💀Thank you so much, please keep all the votes and comments coming ❤️

It's cold and wet.

I'm hating it.

It's so not what I expected when we boarded the plane to Italy. It's never been like this in the country when I've visited in the past.

The rain is pelting off the tarmac. Fans in the stands are drenched, people in different team uniforms are running around with big golf umbrellas trying not to crash into each other left, right and centre. Even the mechanics look a little stressed as they plot with strategists over what to do in this weather. Wet was expected but not quite to this level.

I hate when it rains on race days. It makes me feel sick. So much of the what's known about the car is taken away in the wet and it makes me so incredibly anxious that it makes my stomach churn with anxiety.

Every single time.

Lando and Daniel don't seem to care though. They're strutting around the garage in their race suits, chatting to members of the team. Lando has his suit zipped up, ready to go in qualifying which is due to begin in about ten minutes. Daniel has his slung around his hips, the tight white fireproof top filled with sponsor logos on display. He's been dancing around like an idiot for the last five minutes, chatting with people and nodding seriously between two-steps.

I chew on my lip and wring my hands as I stare at the wet tyres attached to both of their cars. They're still covered with the warmers. At least they're prepared? I'm sure that everyone here knows what they're doing.

"Are you okay?" Daniels voice knocks me from my daze I nod without thinking about it. Only because I can't think about it, my mind is too filled with other thoughts. My eyes fixed on the rain dripping onto the tarmac. I didn't even realise that he'd made his way over to me. How long has he been stood next to me? I'm so in my head. "Amber?" He's asks again, I'm chewing on my lower lip. This time I shake my head no. Even over all of the commotion, drilling noises and revs I see him huff quietly, his eyes darting around the garage, assessing. Daniel runs his fingers along his nose, his eyes dotting around. There are cameras everywhere, I have no doubt that somewhere there's people who are seeing this conversation live as it happens. The last thing we need is attention to be drawn in our direction.

I wring my hands again. This time daniel notices.

"Let's go." Daniel gestures for me to follow him away from the corner of the garage. As soon as we're in a more private space up the stairs from the main garage Daniel grabs onto my arm leading me to his room. His fingers are cold against my skin from the cold air in the garage. The whole journey I'm shaking my head quietly protesting.

"Daniel you're needed downstairs." A guy dressed in the Mclaren team shirt says to him, voice firm. I'm still chewing on my lip as Daniel sighs, his shoulders sagging.

"Yeah, give me one second." He says dismissively, looking at the guy to flash that charming smile of his. This seems to be good enough for whoever was telling him. They know Daniel wouldn't mess around when it comes to actually driving. At least I hope that's the case.

Daniel pushes open the door to his room, his hand is still on my arm. "What's up?" He asks as soon as the door clicks closed. I swallow slowly, clearing my throat. I could mess around and say 'nothing' or not share but we both know he doesn't have the time for that. I stutter with my words, trying to form a coherent sentence and make sense of the scrambled thoughts in my head.

"The rain on the track gets me..." Daniel nods instantly at my words, understanding what I mean without me even fully explaining. I feel so pathetic now I've said it out loud. I sigh heavily not even able to finish the sentence.