29. Convenience

"Do you think I'm a convenience fuck?" I ask Lilly, she almost spits her drink out at my sudden question. It's only water, but I can see her struggling. We're sat in a bar after a long day shopping together. I didn't buy much, only some new sunglasses, a pair of shorts or two and some underwear. Lill on the other hand went wild! She had bags upon bags of clothes, almost buying a whole new wardrobe. I have a feeling it's an avoidance tactic of a certain monegasque driver.

"Jesus Ambs." She grumbles pressing a hand to her chest as if she needs time to recover from my question. I'm a little calmer taking a sip of my cappuccino. "Where's this coming from?" She asks with a shake of her head. We've already went over the events of Montreal with a fine tooth comb, several times, today. So I see why the question would seem like out of the blue.

"It's just..." I trail off, my pace slowing. It's going to sound stupid when I say it out loud, I know it. "I'm being stupid." I dismiss with a roll of my eyes at my own insecurity.

"No it's not stupid, tell me!" Lill groans and I huff to myself.

"It's just..." I trail off trying to gather the words in my head. "There's a few things which make me think I might be." I shrug trying my best to keep my words light. I know the look on my face is giving me away.

Lilly's eyes are narrowed in that distrusting way and I chew down on my lower lip reaching to take another sip of my coffee. She's shaking her head at me waving over the waitress. "Can we get a bottle of red wine please?" She asks politely and I smile gratefully at my best friend. "This can't be discussed over coffee." She shrugs as we wait. The bottle and two glasses quickly arrive at our table, once the cork is popped our glasses are filled and I'm almost wanting to laugh at how seriously Lill is taking this.

I can say I a lot of things about Lilly Carter but the main thing that always comes to my mind is that she's an amazing friend, and an even more brilliant best friend.

We clink our glasses together, cheers-ing making sure to make eye contact as we do so. (Lilly had heard from a friend of a friend back in uni that not holding eye contact during a cheers/clink glasses equally three years of bad sex. 'Will never be me!' She'd claimed outraged when returning to our shared uni flat the day after discovering it.)

"What do you mean a few things?" She eventually asks to continue our previous conversation. Her words are slow and suspicious and I can tell that she's analysing me.

"So like the first time we..." I trail off gesturing in front of me with my hands hint at what I'm taking about. I'm incredibly aware of the people say around us. Especially when names are mentioned surely anyone could put 2 and 2 together.

"The actual first time, or this first time?" Lilly questions, her investigative hat truly fixed onto her head.

"This time." I clarify and she nods. "I'm probably reading into it too much." I try and dismiss reaching for my glass of wine.

"Shut up and share." Lilly huffs tired of my stalling. She clinks her glass against mine again and takes a sip of her own drink.

"There was like a pack of condoms in the drawer next to the bed." I blurt out taking a gulp of wine with the admission. I'm trying my best not to let my cheeks burn with embarrassment.

"That's not a big deal." Lilly shrugs defending Daniel. The thing is I agree, I'm a safety first kind of girl- always have been, always will be. I'm not trying to have any accidents or anything like that happen, and I'm glad that, in the moment, they were there. But why were they there? And how did Daniel know exactly where they were? It wouldn't be a big deal, if it were his room. But it wasn't.

"It was the guest room." I say flatly.

"Oh." The dulled reaction from my best friend makes me nod in victory.