26. Lando

I nearly didn't post but we hit 40k 🥲
Thank you so much!

There's a grin on Daniel's face when he approaches me. "I'm so proud of you!" I beam looking at his face which is a little flushed. I almost cringe when he scoops me up in his arms, holding me close to him in a hug, his body is still hot with sweat from earlier. Daniel's changed since the race, but everything with the press had to happen so fast that he didn't have time to shower. So his shirt, which my face is now pressed into, smells slightly like stale sweat which needs immediately washing off.

When I'm released from his strong hold I lift the orange cap with the '3' printed onto it away from his curls, fake gagging at the ring of sweat that is standing out on the material. He only laughs and calls me a 'drama queen' quietly with a sarcastic eye roll that has me smirking up at him.

It wasn't Daniel's best performance in a race by any means, but he's back in the points and that was the main goal for today. He beat Lando too which is a bonus - although, (officially) I'm not happy about that part. Besides, it was a team effort.

The problem with formula one is that the majority of times a drivers main rival is their teammate. They're the only person on track who's equally matched with the same car, equipment and resources. With my current situation, this makes things a little awkward.

Whilst on paper I'm Lando's biggest fan, I'm now rooting for Daniel almost just as hard.

Daniel only laughs at my reaction to his sweaty body, snatching the cap from my hands and pressing it down on over my head. If I have to wash my hair because if this I'm going to kill him, it took so long to straighten this morning with all of the wind and heat. I groan in disgust at the action, a pout taking over my face before readjusting the hat so it sits more comfortably on me. "You look good with a 3 on you." He hums a proud look on his face. It's enough to make me want to snatch every piece of Daniel Ricciardo merch I can find around here and wear it immediately. I just want him to look at me like this forever! I don't quite have the words to reply.

"Where's Lando?" Daniel asks, still watching me with entertained eyes. I hum quietly in reply, taking a small step back and to the side away from him. There's a TV camera in the corner of my eye with its lense pointed at us. I offer a polite smile in its direction, Daniel gives a small wave and it skims away from us. A heavy feeling sets in my chest. I know somebody somewhere is going to have a field day with the fact I'm wearing a cap with a 3 stitched onto it instead of a 4. Nevermind, that I'm talking to Daniel instead of Lando after the race.

"Sulking." Is all I eventually offer with a shrug.

If Daniel hasn't showered maybe we could shower together... that would be fun and...what were we talking about? Oh yeah, Lando. I roll my eyes with the thought of my brother.

Daniel tilts his head in a way which says 'come with me' and we fall into a semi fast walk away from our spot. I'm thankful, because thinking about him like I am with camera's around is bound to get us into trouble. Trouble which will surely make Lando not speak to me for even longer. "I'm actually not sure, he's still not really speaking to me." I admit, the words make Daniel pause in his spot momentarily between the garage and the motorhome. I can only shrug off his concern, it's not that big of a deal...at least I don't think?

My intervention at dinner on Friday clearly upset him more than I thought it would. I don't regret it though. He was being a dick to Carlos and I didn't need him embarrassing himself anymore than he already had.

We spoke a little this morning. Well...I spoke and he yelled, then he spoke and I yelled, we yelled at each other. So really, we argued this morning. It was all getting a little tedious so I eventually just crossed my arms, huffed and walked out of his room like a spoilt child. I felt completely exhausted before breakfast and it's all because of Lando's inability to explain himself and his actions.