16. Take a Hint

I don't really plan on doing anymore of these from Daniel's pov so I hope you enjoy!

Daniel POV

The phone dials again, this time it doesn't even ring before going to voicemail. This must be the sixth time since Friday night I've had no answer - it's now Monday. I flex my hand in frustration, this girl will be the death of me. I have never met somebody who gets me but frustrates me so much in my whole life.

"Do you not take a hint?" Michaels voice is flat, he's watched me carry out this routine every few days over the last two weeks. I only roll my eyes at him. It has been two weeks now, two weeks without speaking to Amber, at least not speaking properly like we normally would. The thought makes something in my chest pang with an ache.

"I'm just making sure she's okay after Lando's crash." I try to defend, this time Michael rolls his eyes at me.

"Yeah, Amber's the one you should be checking in with. Not your teammate who actually crashed." Michaels sarcasm isn't lost on me. I'd probably even find him somewhat funny at any other time - but not now.

Lando is fine, I've spoke with him since he crashed and spun out at the end of the race - several times actually. His neck is sore but that's all, he's fine. It's Amber that I haven't spoken to and I just want to know that she's also okay, but she ran away to the Ferrari garage all weekend, after avoiding me all week. I say ran, it was more like a sprint, she couldn't get away from me, and Mclaren, fast enough once Charles suggested it.

It's made my attempts to make sure she's okay very difficult to say the least.

I could've punched Charles in the face when he suggested Amber go to Ferrari for the weekend. It only gave her more ways to avoid me when I'd been so desperately trying to corner her. Who'd have thought that trying to just talk and apologise to her would be so hard?

Michael doesn't know how scared Amber is of something happening to Lando. You could tell in Imola, it's her worst fear. She was shaking at just the thought, never mind watching it happen right in front of her eyes. I wish I could've just been there for her when it happened. Of course, circumstances (and Amber) meant that I couldn't be there. But I'll be damned if I don't check up on her just because she's embarrassed over what happened between us. I just want to make sure she's okay.

"Leave me alone." I groan, going to open my text messages to Amber. There's multiple I've sent her since race day in Italy, all of which have gone unanswered (they have been read though). I chew down on my bottom lip as I think over what to say. Surely one more text won't hurt? I'm only trying to check in with her.

'Hey A, just wanting to make sure you're okay? Worried about you, & I've missed you this weekend. Just let me know please.
D ❤️'

The words are simple, but it still takes the message being read over five times in my head before I press the blue send icon. My eyes then scan the screen, waiting for the grey letters to say 'delivered' as it did with all the other messages, but it never comes.

Has she blocked me?!

In frustration I huff and throw my phone down on the desk I front of me. The clatter of the device against the table makes Michael roll his eyes as he continues to tap away on his laptop and scribble down notes on the paper in front of him.

As if summoned by my anger at his sister, I spot Lando hanging around outside the office were in. Michael dragged me here to go over some exercise plans and meal preps before I meet with some of the sponsors in a few hours. Today was going to be long and boring, but necessary to keep everyone in the team happy. Honestly, I'm ready to call it a day already. I thought we got all of this shit over with through last week and Amber ignoring me is beginning to really piss me off.