21. More Than That

I cannot WAIT to hear/see your reactions to this I have been holding onto this chapter for WEEKS it's been killing me
Also I can't believe we're over 20k reads! ❤️

"Kissing after a conversation 'bout how we'd probably be better off as friends." Already Over, Sabrina Carpenter

Daniel's apartment is amazing, completely different to the place in Perth. Yet also, strangely, him. There's multiple rooms and a wrap around balcony which is half drenched in the dimming sunlight and half covered filled with comfortable furniture and gym equipment. The floors are white tiles which run through the whole place, but it's made cosier by the large carpet set squarely in the middle of the apartment. Photos of Daniel with friends, family and celebrities dot the walls along with several trophies.

I recognise one on the shelf immediately.  The tall star shaped trophy is a reminder of how we fell into this situation in the first place. It makes me smile. There's about twelve in total on display. Eight first place Formula One trophies, his formula 3 and 2 trophies and a few ones that I don't quite understand the importance of. Daniel explains that 'there's more in Perth' but the most important ones stay here in his more constant home. Despite this not really being a constant home at all, he's permanent all over the place, this year I am too. I decide to quiz him on the importance of the awards I don't recognise at a later date.

Michael was here, along with Blake, but they both quickly make themselves scarce after I said Hi. Daniel was fairly firm in his hint to get them to leave asking them if they 'have things they need to be doing'. Michael found it hilarious, he didn't have to say anything, I could tell by the face he pulled. He even winked teasingly in my direction as he dragged Blake out the door. Blake didn't say much, he generally doesn't to me.

"How's Lando?" Daniel asks as he sets himself down on the outside seats under the setting sun. It's still warm enough to sit out but I'm glad I have my hoodie wrapped over my body for an extra layer. The wind is a little chill being on the 7th floor and all. Plus, the fleecy material is great at acting as a security blanket.

"Tired, but getting better. Not as whiny." I joke and Daniel nods before shaking his head at my words. Lando has been complaining less than he was before, as much as he tried to power through, his complaints were frequent. It honestly still amazed me that he survived the race in Barcelona, much less scored points.

I'm too nervous to speak first, really speak, I don't even know what I would say to Daniel. I only know what I feel and that's about it right now. Until this point we've only participated in small talk.

I'm beginning to wonder how we'll get to anything more than this when Daniel's expression hardens a little. His shoulders stiffening and back straightening.

"Did you have fun with Charles?" His voice asks, a little firmer than it was before. My eyebrows furrow at the sudden change in topic and I'm a little caught off guard by the question and the edge on his voice. "Here, the other week." He clarifies, eyes narrow. "Lando told me all about it." I open my mouth, this time looking to him, of course Lando did. "Then I saw it all." I could kick myself, once again - of course he did.

I'd posted on social media almost nonstop about the trip, and Charles and Carlos had hardly been on radio silence about it. Just because I unfollowed Daniel and muted everything to do with him, doesn't mean he did the same. Guilt pools in me, I know how it looked and I'd be lying if I said the thought of him being jealous hadn't made me post more.

"Daniel..." I hum. There's a tension tight in his shoulders and a deep frown on his face. We both know what his question implies and it makes me shift uncomfortably. His eyes are filled with disbelief, as if the thought that I could actually be friends with anyone around the track is unfathomable. "C'mon, it wasn't like that." I grumble, sending a small glare in his direction. "We're just friends." I clarify trying to ease Daniel's jealousy over me spending time with Charles.