“Hey Deana, you seen Brad?” Jeremy asked me, a small smile on his face. The lady was tapping the keys on her blackberry.

“No. I . . . um. . . I only just got in”, I replied, looking at my feet. Busted!

She looked up. “Deana?” she asked, looking at me and then, at Jeremy.

“Um, yeah. Sav, Deana. Deana, my sister, Savannah”, he said, looking away.

His sister! Suddenly, I could see the similarities. Their eyes, their jaws and of course, their ridiculous gorgeousness.

I shook her hand. “Nice to meet you”, I said.

“Same. I’ve heard a lot about you”, she said.

I raised my brows and turned to Jeremy, “You talk about me?” I couldn’t help feeling glad.

“Sav”, Jeremy muttered, silently.

“Well, you’re the latecomer, who’s kind of awesome at her job”, she said, with a smile.

Oh.

I blushed a little. “Um . . .

Before I could say anything else, Brad trotted in, with Greg.

“Sav?”, he called, and she turned to him.

“Cole! Good to see you!” she said, grinning and giving him a warm hug.

“Savvy, looking hot, as always”, Greg said, raking his eyes over her body.

“Gregory. An idiot. As always”, she said, jokingly, hugging him too.

“What are you doing in town?” Brad asked, grinning.

She sighed. “I missed my big brother”, she said, elbowing Jeremy playfully. He rolled his eyes, smiling.

“How long are you here for? We should go grab lunch”, Greg said.

I somehow felt like I was intruding. They were long-time friends, and I was just the latecomer, who happened to have the hots for one of them. I was just sidling away, when Savannah said, “Hey Deana, you want to come with us?”

I saw Jeremy wince slightly. Ouch!

“Um . . that’s okay. I have to work, anyway”, I said, turning to leave.

“Well, it was great to meet you”, she said, grinning. She definitely made a much better first impression than her brother – who was already headed to the elevators with Greg.

“You too”, I mumbled and she walked off with Brad.

All four of them really did look like a front cover for Vogue, as they walked down the stairs.  I watched them leave and then, stepped into my office, in preparation for a large email mass from my mother.

Just as I expected:

To: Deana  Carter <d.carter@darrenbarnesandco.com>

From: Gabrielle Carter <gabbiecarter@freemail.com>

April 7th, 2011 11:21

Deana.

Where do I begin?

I don’t know where or when you developed this wild streak you’ve been putting on over the past few months.