4.4 | saudade

Saudade
a nostalgic longing to be near again to something or someone distant, or that has been loved and then lost;
"the love that remains."

May 8, 2001

They make it to the end and sit there for a moment. They were soaking it all in before they left to start their own lives. After a couple of minutes, everyone starts getting off the boats.

Ciana and Juniper catch up to the group and start their conversations, reminiscing about their years and adventures. Their laughter and the laughter from other groups were heard loud and clear.

It was bittersweet.

Ciana fell out of step with the group and a small soft smile fell onto her face as she stared at her friends. She'll miss them and all their stories.

As she's back there, Harry turns and sees her. He tells them to keep walking and waits for Ciana.

"Are you okay?" He asks once she catches up to him.

She blinks and turns her head to him. She didn't even notice he had been waiting for him. "Yeah, are you?" He heard the staggering in her voice, she hadn't seen him and it made him laugh under his breath. She raised an eyebrow at his laugh, "What?"

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"You didn't!" Ciana's eyes widened, and it made him laugh even more. At this point, they were the last ones left in the back. Harry noticed and grabbed her hand to pull them forward.

As Harry pulled her, Ciana stared at their hands and her heart throbbed. She missed the feel of his hand in hers. He turned back to her and saw where she was staring.

He stopped.

She stopped.

They looked at each other.

Their eyes met and their hearts stopped.

"Stay."

Her eyes instantly started to tear up. She shook her head and he stepped closer.

"Stay with me, Ciana."

She shook her head again, but this time she spoke. "I can't, Harry, I can't."

His eyeglasses fogged over and he took them off. His eyes were watery and she hated to see it. She hated doing this to him but couldn't stay and lose the opportunity of a lifetime.

"Okay." That's all he said. They stared at each other for a moment before he turned.

She lost her breath. She was sure this was the last time she would speak, the last time he tried. She almost folded over on herself but then he turned.

He turned quickly and walked over to her. He grabbed her cheeks and clenched his jaw. She saw him trying to control himself, she could see him trying to figure out what to say.

"Let me go with you." He said with so much confidence. She furrowed her eyebrows and her mouth opened. She had such words.

"What--" She was gonna argue with him but he continued.

"I know what you're gonna say but please listen to me. I can't let you go. I can't see you leave while I stay here and we never see each other for years. I don't want that to happen because I can't breathe without you. You are my world and the person I want...no...I need the most. I am in love with you. I have always been in love with you, and I'll never stop loving you."

Silence.

They were both breathing hard.

She couldn't control herself anymore when she stepped forward, and kissed him. It was passionate and full of longing. He grabbed the back of her head and smashed their lips together. They'd been waiting for this and it released all the tension they had.

They let go. Their so close, their foreheads are touching.

She listened to his words, went over them in her head and she couldn't let him go either.

"I love you."

He separated from her and his face lightened up. "Say it again."

"I love you and I want you to go with me."

"Really?"

"Yes, I've never been so sure of something in my life."

They smiled at each other and he pulled her into a hug. His head in her neck and he breathed her in. "I can't wait to make up for all our lost time."

"Me too."

•••

After a couple of minutes of speed walking and happy giggles, they caught up to their group.

"Where were you guys?" Hermione asked, her tone worried like the mom she was.

Harry and Ciana shared stares and laughed. Hermione looked around at the other and shook her head getting on the train.

They found their seats and sat down. It was a train ride filled with stories and laughter. Some tears but they tried their best to not be sad.

Ginny stared at Ciana and Harry and pursed her lips. "So, are you guys going to tell us what happened?"

Ciana smiled and turned to Harry. He nodded at her and she started telling them what happened while they were away.

After Ciana recounted what happened everyone started sharing how happy they were for them.

"It was about time, wasn't it?" Ron huffed and patted Harry on the back.

•••

As they got off the train, the heaviness of leaving settled in on Ciana. She turned to her friends and they all knew it was time for their goodbyes.

Juniper rushed to her and squeezed her. "I don't know how Im gonna live without you."

Ciana sniffled and laughed, "You'll be fine, and I'll be back before you even knew I was gone."

"You better write me every day, even with your love-sick life."

"You're one to talk, " She rolled her eyes.

She said goodbye to everyone and met up with Harry. He saw her and pulled her into him and kissed her. "Where are we going now?"

She smiled up at him, "I need to go home and pack."

"I'll go with you. I already have everything I need."

"Okay." She whispered and grabbed his hand before walking off together.

•••

Ciana and Harry walked into her home and they put their bags down. "Mom?"

Ciana's mom walked into the room and ran to her daughter. They hugged each other hard and immediately started catching up and Harry stood in the back.

Ciana called Harry over and he said hello to her mom. They started talking and Ciana thought it'd be best to leave them alone to pack up.

They would leave in the morning, so she needed to be ready.

She was ready for this part of her life and her life with Harry.

It was really about time.

Authors Note
It's time to finish this book, I'm gonna try not to procrastinate. I have missed these characters tho.