0.4 | ukiyo

Ukiyo
living in the moment, detached from the bothers of life.

September 3, 2000

"Who do you think going to be the new professor?" Juniper asked as Ciana and he walked to their first class of the new year. After the beginning of the year party, the two spent the next day inside playing chess, painting, or reading.

That's what they used to do before.

Before.

That's a fun thing to say, before everything. Before death. Before...before.

Ciana held on to the strap of her bag, and adjusted it here and there—it was an instinctive thing for her to do. "Maybe it's Slughorn, but would he still want to teach here?"

"If it is him, I hope he lets the Slug Club thing go."

Ciana laughs and smacks him on the shoulder. "You weren't even in the club, I was."

"Exactly! He stole my best friend!" Juniper says in a childishly grumpy tone.

"There were barely any meetings, and only a few parties here and there." Before he could reply with another stubborn comment, she beat him to it. "You always went with me to those, if I remember correctly."

He huffs and rolls his eyes. "Whatever, I still hate it."

"Maybe you'll get invited this year." They get into the corridors with the most crowds and start to wiggle their way in between all the students.

"I would disrespectfully decline the offer."

She blinks and gives him a confused stare. "You mean respectively, right?"

"Is that what I said?"

"No, but—"

"Than I meant what I said before." He said flatly and opened the door to the Potions classroom for her. She flips him off, and he sticks his tongue out to her.

"Piss off." She mumbled, but he just gave her a smirk. They walked inside the room to see most of the students lining up on the wall.

Slughorn sees them come in, and perks up. "Oh perfect! Come in, come in, okay line up with the rest. Perfect!" He walked to the front of the classroom and clapped his hands together. "Hello, eighth years!" Everyone grumbled a hello, but some said theirs audibly (that someone is Hermione, of course).

"Well then, you all must be asking why you are on the walls today." Crickets. "This is because I have assigned seats this year, and I wanted to start fresh." Crickets. Professor Slughorn waits a moment for a reply, but when he doesn't get one, he starts reading off the list. "Anyways...Hermione Granger with Terry Boot. Ron Weasley with Dean Thomas. Juniper Azalea with Susan Bones..." He trails off as Ciana goes into her own thoughts.

She's brought out of them as her name is called. "...Ciana Cressida with Harry Potter..." Her breathe hitches, and she makes eye contact with Harry. His heart leaps and tries to keep it from beating against his chest. He looks into her eyes, her glossy beautiful brown specks. His lips part and his heart start to beat on its own accord.