3.2 | amal

Amal
hope.

February 10, 2001

Ciana,

The renovations are almost finished! How exciting is that! I hope you'll like them when you come back from school.

I'm doing fine, please stop worrying so much about me darling.

Your Mum

Something about the letter bothered Ciana, greatly.

Everything about the situation bothered her. Since she's been back, she's felt terrible about leaving her mother alone. It even went as far as her wanting to leave and having to be slapped out of it by Juniper. It was a whole thing, they haven't talked about it since.

She has an idea. A smart one, she's sure of it. Still. Junipers are the "reasonable" one nowadays, so she'll have to check with him first.

She finds him in the courtyard, casting spells by the second like some pro. "What are you doing?" She asks as she comes to sit by him.

He doesn't take his eyes off the book in front of him as he answers, "Practicing my speed."

"We haven't had to do that since the war." She whispers, and this catches his attention.

"I know," He whispers back, going back to his reading. "What do you need, Ciana?"

"I wanted to see your opinion on something."

"On what?"

"I'm planning on going to the headmistress's office and asking her for a day off so I can go see my mum."

Juniper puts his wand down slowly and faces her, "Hm."

"Hm?" She raises an eyebrow, impatient to see his reaction.

"It's a good idea. You should do it."

"Really?" She didn't even try to hide her shock.

"Yeah, I think it'll do you both some good to be around each other."

"I think so too." She keeps sitting, waiting for him to go back to his practicing but he keeps staring at her.

After a lot of sitting and staring, he gives her a look, "Are you going to go, or...?"

"Oh yeah!" She stands quickly, "I'll see you tomorrow." He nods and goes back to his work, as she walks away.

The walk to the office wasn't long but it felt like it. She knew McGonagall wouldn't say no to this but she still felt nervous to ask. Who wouldn't? Ciana was very intimidated by her but also admired her greatly.

She stood in front of the door, taking deep breathes. She had sent a note in the morning asking for the password so that was checked off her list. Ciana entered and slowly walked into the office.

The headmistress sat at her desk, writing down something that seemed of great importance, who knew what it was—Ciana didn't care about it at the moment.