0.1 | querencia

Querencia
a place from which one's strength is drawn, where one feels at home; the place where you are your most authentic self.

August 23, 2000

"There's a letter for you, dear!" Ciana lifts her head from where she was buried in her book, her mother's voice coming from the kitchen. She puts her bookmark to save her page and walked over to the door.

Her mother, Lyra, was making their teas, while her father, Dante, was gardening. She hugged her mother and grabbed the letter from her hands. Ciana read the letter and bit her lip.

To: Miss C. Cressida
The kitchen with the biggest window.
1567 Appleby,
North Lincolnshire.

She ripped the envelope open and unfolded the letter.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Dear Miss Ciana Cressida,

We are pleased to inform you that our beloved school has been rebuilt to the best replication, and have decided to ask students to come back for their eighth year. You may decline or accept, but we would be pleased to have you back to officially graduate.

Yours Sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Headmistress

Her mother reads over her shoulder and gasps. "An eighth year? For what?" Ciana reads the letter a second time, and shrugs. "Are you going to go?"

She folds the parchment neatly and conjures a new piece and a quill.

Dear Headmistress McGonagall,

I gladly accept your invitation for the new year, thank you.

Sincerely,
Ciana Zara Cressida

She called her owl, Cal, over and puts the letter in his beck. "You know where." She caressed his feathers, and the owl flew off.

Mrs. Cressida saw her daughters' eyes light up at the mention of Hogwarts, it made her happy to see her daughter glad to go back to school, but something is bothering her. "Are you sure?"

Ciana looks over to her mother and nods. "Bex would have wanted me to go, and I love Hogwarts."

Her mother pours the tea into the cups and handed it over to Ciana. "It will feel different, a lot happened there."

She remembers it like it was yesterday; the screaming, cries, fire, and death. It's hard not to forget, especially when your own sister was one of the several casualties. Rebecca Cressida, the youngest of the sisters, always having the brightest smile and wonderful personality. Seeing her pale face, cold, and dead was the only thing Ciana thinks about at night. Her dark eye bags and exhausted state can show for it, but it's normal in the Cressida house; they all have the same exhausted face.

She puts honey, 2 sugar cubes, and gently mixes her tea. "I know, mother. It would be good to see Juniper, I miss him." She sips her tea and thinks about her best friend. He was always there for her, grieving for Bex, everything. He only left to the Auror program when he was sure she would be okay. "Do you think he will go?"