Chapter 56: Letter

Tristan's POV

"No, no! Please, stay on the phone with me, Mrs. Davis!" She couldn't hang up!

I needed to know what was happening now.

I was driving well over the speed limit, just three minutes away, but the urgency was unbearable. I had to be kept informed about Alyssa's condition now.

"T-Tristan, I have to go-"

"Mrs. Davis, I'm begging you, please don't- DAMN IT!" I slammed my hand on the steering wheel in frustration.

My anger was reaching a boiling point.

I had to stay updated on what was happening to the love of my life!

My heart felt like it was being crushed inside my chest as I raced toward the hospital. I'd gladly accumulate a million tickets if it meant being there for Alyssa.

Two possibilities loomed, and I was tormented by the uncertainty.

I thought I heard a doctor's voice.

I clung to hope for a successful surgery, but the fear of the alternative gnawed at me, and I had to be there in case it was true.

My car came to an abrupt halt in front of the hospital, and I raced towards and through the double doors, colliding with people and nurses in my haste.

My frantic steps led me straight to the elevator. I knew exactly where she would be.

My feet trembled nervously as I waited for the elevator doors to open. When they finally did, I sprinted out with a mix of hope and apprehension, my mind racing with uncertainty about her condition.

"Where is she?" I shouted, rushing over to the crowd gathered in front of the operating room.

My heart raced, my hands shook uncontrollably, my stomach tightened into a painful knot, a lump lodged in my throat, my breaths came heavy, and anxiety gripped my mind.

I slowed down, realizing what was happening, the world around me seemingly slowing in motion. My ears rang, and my body weakened until my legs gave out, and the next thing I knew, my knees hit the floor, leaving my heart shattered and torn from my chest.

Oh, God!

No. No. No.

"NO!!" I cried out in anguish, clenching my fists in anger and agony.

She didn't make it!

Fuck!

Despair flooded my chest, and I wailed helplessly, clutching my head in surrender. My body trembled, and my heart ached unbearably.

SHE WAS FUCKING DEAD!

Everyone around us was engulfed in grief. Chloe and Brendan tried to console Mrs. Davis as she cried out in anguish, desperately attempting to enter the operation room.

"NOOOOO! I WANT MY DAUGHTER!" She screamed in heartbreak.

Jax and Ashley held Amber while they all wept.

I was shattered.

I was defeated.

I couldn't imagine living without her.

"Fuck!" I shouted, then collapsed into another bout of heart-wrenching sobs.

She was gone.

This couldn't be the end of us.

It just couldn't. We had our future meticulously planned.

My body felt utterly defeated, and every inch of me ached. It was almost impossible to accept. I just couldn't.