Chapter 29: Home

"It's getting worse day by day, and we need to reduce its size and slow its progression," my doctor explained to my mother while I sat on the bed, nervously playing with my hands.

"But she needs treatment as soon as possible, doctor. You said it's getting more harmful, get her a earlier date," my mom urged, hope in her voice.

"I understand your concern, but my schedule is fully booked, and the earliest available date is in another month," the doctor replied, sympathetically. "I know you want to help your daughter, but there are other patients with the same condition in more critical situations who need immediate care. I'm sorry, or if you want to try finding another doctor with an earlier appointment, I won't object because I understand. But I'm truly sorry it has to be this way."

My mom turned to me, shaking her head as she began to sob, and that shattered me.

"She's one of those patients, doctor, just like the others!" She shouted at the doctor in frustration.

"I completely agree, but the hospital is at full capacity, and there are young children in equally dire situations as your daughter, even worse, who were admitted before her. I'm truly sorry..." the doctor tried to explain.

"This is unbelievable!" She cried. "What kind of hospital is this? So, you're just going to let my daughter suffer?!"

My mother was a resilient woman, and her tears and distress revealed how much pain she was feeling for me.

I stood up and went to hug her.

It wasn't the doctor's fault; it was the hospital's chaotic situation.

She wrapped her arms around me, using one hand to soothe my head.

"I promise to get you the best care, sweetie. We'll find another doctor with an earlier appointment, okay?" She kissed my forehead with trembling hands, and I buried my head on her shoulder.

I wasn't sure if this meant I was going to lose my life, but I knew it was a serious situation, and it filled me with worry, not for myself but for my mom.

She would endure so much stress, and I despised being the cause of it.

All I wanted was for her to be happy, free from problems, and for me to be free from this cancer.

Why couldn't I have a normal life?

But the more pressing question was: what would happen when it worsened?

So many thoughts raced through my mind.

"Should we start looking for doctors in New York City first?"

***

Chloe's POV

Not again!

For the love of the almighty! I was on the verge to explode.

From the moment Ashley's 'boyfriend' started coming here, nothing had been the same!

Miguel was the definition of repulsion, dick, cunt, stubborn, awful human....! The list went on...

"Why the fuck did you used my bathroom?!'' I asked with rage but not too much to have Ashley shooting daggers through me from her bedroom.

He scratched the back of his head. "There wasn't any warm water in Ashley's-"

"You're a man! Bathe in cold water and stop being a bitch!" I shouted, grabbing my hair remover from his hand.

Why the fuck did he have it!

"I'm not a bitch. Warm water is more healthy-"

Deep breaths Chloe...

Deep breaths...