Chapter 26: Breaking news

Doctor Malcolm walked inside the room, closed the door then gave us a generous, welcoming smile.

"Haley, Alyssa, good to see you again. How are you doing?"

"Great so far," I smiled at him.

He had been my radiologist for a year, and he was the best person to ever take care of me.

"You've been taking your medicines and staying healthy?" He asked.

"Medicines, yup, if eating pizza is healthy, yeah?"

My doctor gave me a disapproving look, and I laughed.

"Yeah, I've been eating healthy, no need to worry, and I've taken naps a lot lately," I grinned. "Along with my medication."

Most of the time I don't intend on sleeping, but I would always find myself wanting to sleep a lot lately.

The doctor cleared his throat. "How are you feeling? Any changes inside the body?" He asked, scribbling on his clipboard.

I sighed, preparing to talk. "Yeah, a few I have issues sleeping, unexpectedly blurry eyes, really, tired, always tired. I puked five times on my way here, my brain be venting at times, it's so hard to concentrate, loss of appetite, and I am still feeling nauseous with a huge headache that won't stop, but I am sure these have nothing to do with what I have," I smiled slightly at the doctor.

He looked at me, then my mother, flabbergasted.

"No, Alyssa, those have something to do with your tumor," he said with caution in his tone, causing me to get worried.

"So-so, why am I getting these symptoms now?" If it was because of my tumor why was I only getting them now?

"It's not unusual that you're enduring them now because it's a part of having a brain tumor, but most people don't always encounter them, but the tumor still grows and is still harmful. However, now that you're undergoing them after all this time means that it must've been getting most critical. I trust it is not because last time we did an MRI, you were at stage 3, and we shrunk the size during chemotherapy, meaning that it was getting cured, and for you to get these signs is already bad news, to begin with," he explained.

"What do we do, doctor?" My mother worriedly asked, trying to hold back her tears because she was trying to be strong for me.

My mother was emotional.

"We can run another MRI scan. Do you mind lying down, Alyssa?" I listened then laid on my back.

"Is she going to be alright?"

"Have she had any seizures lately?"

"Not that I know of. Why?"

"She just listed all the symptoms of having a glioblastoma brain tumor," he said, then walked over to me, parting some of my hair before starting feeling my scalp. "It's bigger than it was the last time I checked," my eyes widened. "Also, glioblastoma brain cancer is very dangerous and is rare in teenagers."

One year ago, I was diagnosed with a stage three cancerous brain tumor that I've been fighting for my life with, and it would be horrible if it had gotten worse because those stages were already very aggressive and deadly. I've been doing chemo for almost a year since I found out, and I thought I was getting better.

I even got my hair cut, but it had grown back.

My best friends knew about me having cancer, but I made them promise not to make a big deal out of it even though it was.

I hated to be reminded I was sick.

I know what you were all thinking, why would I go to college with such a dangerous illness?