Chapter 3

Chapter 3

As the light on the building illuminates the establishment, the sky already darkened an hour ago. Lilac look at the small crescent moon hanging on the sky for a moment before going back on her work.

Her mind was still occupied. This time, it was because of someone else.

Years ago, she fell for someone who made her happy, who supported her dreams. He promised her to stay beside her until she successfully build her own business. He promised to stay beside her for a lifetime. It felt like a fairytale for Lilac, and everytime those memories rose from the deepest art of her memory, she can only smile bitterly.

The tender and gentle kisses. The warm hug whenever he is tired. The way he consoled Lilac with ice cream whenever she's upset. When someone revealed their relationship, and he forcefully defended her despite of all the bad things that was thrown to him. The way he loved him carefully, like she was a glass that can be shattered easily if your hand slipped.

Three years. It should be three years already ever since they broke up, and today, her ex boyfriend, Timothy, sent her a message.

The message says: "Do you have some time? Can we meet up?"

The break up was a mutual agreement that was decided by both sides. But seeing the message, an unexplainable discomfort and worry rose in Lilac's heart. She stare at the screen of her phone until it closed, but never touched it again afterwards.

Until now, her heart was still irregularly beating, but she still have to work. She can't clock out just because her ex boyfriend wants to meet her. Ms. Marian will never buy that excuse of early clock out. She will surely storm and insult her from head to toe, even if there's nothing insulting on her almost perfect existence.

Lilac leaned back on the chair and answered to the message: "No. Why?" Afterwards, she put the phone in silence and tossed it on the table.

To be truth, she was really bothered. Her eyes was forcefully focused on the papers, but the rims of her eyes has reddened, as she tries to avoid tears from falling. From time to time, she will sniff, and then sigh heavily, making her workmates turn their head on her, worrying that she had overworked and catch a cold.

But Lilac, she doesn't care about those things. What she cares about was the bottled up questions. She obviously want to go, run, and meet up with Timothy as much as possible. Although she doesn't want to appear desperate in front of him, she really wanted him back.

Lilac has been doubting ever since two years ago. The public had already accepted their relationship, but why? All of a sudden, he broke up with her?

Lilac glanced at the lower corner of the monitor, it was already seven. She checked her phone and saw a message from Timothy. The man she never put on her blacklist.

The man who wrote the message put a lot of messages, but ended up deleting them. In the end he sent these words: "It's alright if you can't make it. I wanted to have a dinner with you, but if you're busy, let's have a dinner next time."

Lilac's reddened eyes was tightly shut. She gripped on her phone, and stayed motionless for a moment. Her heart was beating wildly, she's carefully thinking about his words. Dinner. Why does he wanted to have a dinner with her? If she said yes, will he ask her back? What if he does?

Endless questions poured out on Lilac's mind. In the end, she felt that her heart was about to burst, she run out of the office immediately and locked herself inside the bathroom.

She didn't dare to cry it out. She splashed water on her face, wiping out the tears that had streamed down while she's running. And then, she look up to the mirror, staring at herself coldly.