62

"SO, WHAT, DO WE, LIKE, RUSH IT?" Lizzie asked as they stood, facing the mummy.

Alaric shook his head, "It's seven feet tall. We hold our ground until it's close enough to attack."

"Okay, Dad, get behind us," Lizzie said to which Alaric shook his head yet again, "I can't do that."

"Dad."

"I have to protect you, all of you." Alaric said earning a loud sigh from Hope, "no offense, Dr. Saltzman, but you and your crossbow are kind of manspread in front of three powerful witches and a hybrid."

"Okay, good point," Alaric nodded, getting behind the four as Lizzie questioned, "okay, what can a mummy do to hurt us?"

"I think we're about to find out," Jaxon muttered just as the mummy opened it's mouth, a lot of insects flying out of it, heading straight towards the group. Hope, Josie and Lizzie were quick to react, holding each other's hand as they muttered the spell which created a sort of ball around them, preventing the insects from hitting them.

"Nice teamwork," Alaric commented as Lizzie ask, "should we rush it now?"

"Not yet."

"Now?" Lizzie asked again to which Hope shook her head, "no."

Just then the mummy growled, raising it's hand and pointing it towards them. Lizzie spoke up, "I really, really think that we should rush it."

"Wait!" Hope glanced at her, "On three. One... Two—" she was cut off when she began coughing.

"What's going on?" Jaxon looked at Hope who was clutching to her stomach and couching as insects began leaving her mouth. Lizzie started coughing as well and Josie followed. "Holy fuck."

Jaxon looked at the mummy who was still growling while staring back at him. Raising his hand forward, a wave of fire rushed towards the mummy, burning it on the spot and turning it into ashes.

"Worst spring break ever," Lizzie muttered as their coughing fit stopped and they regained their posture. They shared at the pile of dust on the middle of the road and the urn above it.

**

"So the mummy ain't actually dead?" Kaleb, who was leaning against the car asked as Alaric replied, walking towards them, "well, if I'm right, the mummy's curse is bound by the scarab in its chest. Once the girls siphon the scarab, the curse will be lifted and the mummy will be dead."

"Okay, and what if you're wrong?" Kaleb questioned to which Hope said, "he's never wrong."

"So what now?" Lizzie asked making Alaric look at her, "until we get the urn, we wait."

"How long do we have to wait?" The blonde asked, looking at Hope, "if I have to bug-hurl again, I swear to God, I will never talk to you again."

"Okay, that one wasn't even remotely my fault," Hope said with a frown while glancing at Jaxon who was busy playing temple run on his phone without a care in the world.

"Yeah, well, the beetle slime in my tonsils says otherwise," Lizzie retorted as Josie asked, "why can't we just give the mummy the urn? Is opening the portal to Malivore really that bad?"

Jaxon's breath hitched at that— something Hope noticed and furrowed her brows but said nothing as she gave her attention to Josie, "Do any of the monsters that have been trapped in there seem happy and balanced to you?"

"I'm with Josie," Lizzie stated, "why don't we skip bug vomit round two and just go and get some pancakes or something?"

"Think of it like this," Alaric approached them, "we'll be setting the mummy free from his prison."

"Hmm," Josie frowned, "Poor mummy."

Jaxon's body straightened when he sensed that something was going on. He glanced in the direction of the sound when he saw people rushing out. "It's back," standing up, he looked at the others, "it wasn't supposed to be."

"Well it is so Let's just do what we came here for."

"What the hell is happening?" Ryan asked, rushing towards them as he stared at the mummy.

"I don't know; he should be dead," Alaric responded making Ryan scoff, "Well, clearly he isn't."

"Yeah, I can see that."

"He's looking for the urn," Hope said to which Ryan asked, "what do we do?"

"I don't know, give him the urn."

"Hey, can someone give this thing the urn?" Ryan asked someone over the radio. "Can't. The urn's gone."

"Wh... Who's been in there?" Ryan asked to which the guy on the other line replied, "Only our guys." Ryan turned to Alaric, "do something."

"Kaleb, go grab that scarab," Jaxon said to Kaleb who nodded and vamp sped towards the mummy, "Yep. Nice bling. Don't mind if I do," the mummy snarled at him when he removed the green scarab from his chest and gave it to Lizzie, "got it."

"Oh, crap," Hope mumbled as the twins began siphoning the object, "Hurry. Like, hurry, hurry."

The mummy snarled as he walked closer and closer until he growled and opened his mouth, releasing a lot of insects like earlier. This time, Jaxon was quick to react holding his palm forward, turning the insects into nothingness the moment they flew close.

Just then, the mummy froze. The others looked at the twins to see the green scarab turn black. "The curse is lifted. He's gone," Alaric said, look at Ryan, "Well, Agent Clarke, we do any more work for you guys, you're gonna have to put us on the payroll."

"Guess we'll be, uh, on our way out of here.

"Whew," Kaleb breathed out as Alaric flashed Ryan a smile, "good night." He only nodded in response, eyes flickering to Jaxon who looked back at him before glancing at Hope, "you return to the school with the others, I'll be there in a while."

"It's a long way back," Hope said with a frown. Jaxon signed at that, "I've got something to do." Hope glanced at Ryan who was looking at them then back at Jaxon, "is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's fine." He cleared his throat, flashing her a small smile, "I'll be back. Don't worry about me."

"Is there something you're not telling me? You've been acting kinda weird for the past hours." She asked, a frown tugging at her lips as she glanced at the others who were waiting for them in the car.

He went silent at that, rolling his bottom lip in between his teeth as he placed a hand on the side of her face, his thumb carressing her cheek softly, "nothing important. I would've told you if it was." He leaned in and whispered in her ears, so low that she could barely hear, "and Kaleb's listening to our conversation right now so let's not give him the benefit of the doubt."

"There's nothing called private conversation with vampires," Hope said, a little loud as she intended for Kaleb to hear. Jaxon chuckled before placing a kiss on her lips then at her forehead, "now go."

"Okay," she pecked his lips one last time before walking away towards the car. Jaxon didn't know what Hope told them but he was glad that they drove away without coming to ask him any further questions.

As soon as the van was out of sight, he turned to Ryan who had his hands shoved in his pockets and staring at him with a smirk tugging at his lips, "I'm surprised you haven't told them."

"I didn't remember until a few hours ago so fuck off," Jaxon said as he rolled his eyes and made his way towards him, placing a hand on his shoulder which made him visibly stiffen, "so, Ryan, let's have a talk, you and I."