20

"THIS MAKES NO sense dad, why are we being punished?" Lizzie asked as she entered the library with Hope and Josie.

"Because you started a brawl at a charity football game that risked exposing what we really do here," Alaric replied to which Lizzie said, "but you weren't mad last night."

"I was mad last night." Alaric clarified, "my undying love for my daughters just happened to trump my rage. I volunteered everyone in the game so stop complaining. You're lucky that it's just community service and not actual jail time."

"Can I at least offer a rebuttal in my defense if it pleases the court?" Lizzie asked, "first of all, I was provoked. My response was totally proportional considering the levels of abuse I was forced to endure. And secondly, if anyone should take the blame, It's Josie."

"What?" Josie was taken aback making Lizzie sigh, "I'm sorry. I totally cracked under the cross but if you had just let Kaleb catch the ball..."

"You'd still be in trouble," Alaric said making Hope look at Lizzie with a smirk, "but nice job throwing your sister under the bus." Josie looked at the tribrid, "thank you, Hope."

"Speaking of which," Alaric spoke, "the bus leaves in ten minutes and I expect all the three of you to be on it, working together today harmoniously and without drama. End of debate."

"I wasn't even at the game. Why am I being punished?" Hope defended making Alaric look at her, "you know what you did."

"Wait." Josie said, "I haven't seen Jax yesterday and neither did he attend the morning classes. Do you know where he is?"

"Well..." Alaric glanced at Hope which didn't go unnoticed by the two others but they said nothing as he spoke, Jax's not feeling well so he's been excused of his classes."

"Not feeling well? He doesn't get sick." Lizzie raised her brows, "I went to the gym earlier this morning and was shocked to see that around twelve punching bags were scattered everywhere, broken. Now we all know who did that, Jax. What happened—"

"—The bus leaves in seven minutes." Alaric cut her off, walking away before they could ask another questions.

**

Alaric stood in front of Jaxon room and brought his hand, knocking thrice. When he received no response, he opened it— glad to see that it was unlocked and walked in.

Jaxon's room was a mess. There were clothes lying everywhere, his chair wasn't even standing neither were his couches, they were upside down and tossed here and there.

His eyes fell on Jaxon himself who was sleeping, chest heaving up and down. He approached the boy and took in his appearance. His black hair was messed up, going in all the directions. There were prominent dark circles under his eyes. His eyes widened slightly when he saw the boy's hands— his knuckles precisely. They were red, bruised and bloody. He frowned in confusion. Wasn't he supposed to be healing?

That's when he remembered of the potion that Penelope had told him about before making it. He let out a sigh, shaking his head helplessly.

"That bad, huh?" He muttered under his breath. He knew what Jaxon did— he knew how he triggered his curse so he knew how much what Hope did to him sucked.

No matter how much Jaxon was tough on the outside, he was completely broken on the inside and Alaric was one of the very few who knew that. Hope was only able to overpower Jaxon because he was taken aback—he didn't expect her out of all people to attack him and that too using dark magic. If he had seen it, Hope wouldn't have been able to do anything.

"Ric?" Jaxon mumbled, opening his eyes as he frowned at the headmaster, "what are you doing here?"

"Just came to check on you," he responded, his tone low and soft. "How are you doing?"

"Splendid." He replied sarcastically, throwing his blanket over his face, "I'm gonna need a whole day in bed to recover."

"You're abusing my love for you," Alaric joked, laughing when Jaxon chuckled hoarsely, his throat dry, "maybe I am."

"How many hours have you slept?"

"Since last night?" He took the blanket off his face and saw Alaric nod. Jaxon went silent for a while before he replied, "roughly thirty minutes— well Forty five until you broke into my room."

"What about those hands?" He pointed to his hands making Jaxon shrug, "they'll heal. Give it a few hours."

"Let me tend—"

"—no." He was quick to refuse, shaking his head, "now, kindly get out of here. I'm trying to sleep here."

"Rude." Alaric mumbled, "sleep well then. Call me if you need anything."

"Don't call me if you need anything."